Technical Ducato 1.9jtd rear drum brakes binding.

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 1.9jtd rear drum brakes binding.

Molly on the run

Hi.
:)
I had a failiure on the campervan's mot 3 days ago and am currently trying to stop the rear nearside brakes binding (it is based on a 2007 Ducato 1.9jtd with drums on the rear and discs on the front).

Have jacked up the van and checked handbrake cable for play...no problems with the cable sticking on.
Removed brake shoes cleaned backplate and copperslipped contact points.
Refitted the shoes ensuring the autoadjuster wound right back,replaced drum and tightend the two wheel locating pins,problem as soon as the two wheel locating pins are tight the drum is solid.....will not turn....slacken the two pins and the drum revolves again.
I am hoping a new drum will solve the problem as have ordered one today.

But i am open for any suggestions....:)

Last edited:
The obvious suggestion is to check that the pins, springs, and dished washers holding the shoes against the backplate are doing their job but I guess that as you are obviously on top of the mechanics, you will have already done this! It does seem like the shoes are not close enough to the backplate to be catching on the drum at the front. Wear ridges do develop on the drums but wear on the shoes usually corresponds to these.

PS If I were fitting a new drum I would also fit new shoes. (on both sides) Apologies again if you've also done this.

Not sure about your particular set up but are the shoe retaining springs O.K, the ones that hold the shoe back against the back plate?
Are the return springs fitted correctly not getting caught up and pushing the shoes forward?
Some vans have a slot in the slave cylinder face for the shoe to fit into.
As previously said it does sound like the shoes are not against the back plate enough.

Hi,
Have been busy today getting to the bottom of this.
Thanks for your suggestions,to put you further in the picture i am quite experienced with brakes and car mechanics having maintained cars from Austin Cambridge (1966) up to Ducato (2007).

I have the answer kick me if you want.....it was not anything to do with the drum warping or shoes rubbing where they should not.....i overlooked the fact the slave cylinder was siezed on one side easy when you are working without an assistant.
Anyway one new slave cylinder fitted and bled...All is good.Off for a retest tomorrow.
Will post the result....pass or fail.

Hi.
Still waiting for retest,guy's off sick till Monday.
Not forgot you i will post test result Monday evening.
Thanks to all.

Hi.
Well managed to get the mot chap to have a look..........it has passed.
Now for the Seat Ibiza wishbone bushes,(weak point i understand).

Thanks all.
Molly on the run.

Thanks for update; this is one fault I will file away as it could apply to any vehicle with wheel cylinders.

Back