Grande Punto Dualogic stuck in neutral! Please help DOESNT DRIVE

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Dualogic stuck in neutral! Please help DOESNT DRIVE

GianlucaFemminile

Hello there, I’ve got a 2009 grande punto 1.3 multjet dualogic with 33k miles.
Car stuck in neutral, won’t select any gears at all. Message and warning light come on saying ‘gear unavailable’.

I’ve checked fuses in engine compartment stated on handbook and tested okay.

Carried out a DTC read and only have a ‘P2915 Gearbox sub-system’ which have no clue what could mean, suppose something electric but don’t know what?

Checked live data and everything seems to be fine other than the outside temperature from gearbox ecu always states 2 degrees, even if the temperature on the dashboard states 22 degrees, which is almost correct to the actual temperature.

Also with live data I’ve checked the ‘gear selector request’ and was fine in neutral and reverse, however when selecting drive (a/m) the live date would show a request to reverse for a few seconds and then it will just blank out until back to neutral. If you do this while the engine is running you can feel and hear the gearbox is trying to engage and the car slightly goes forward and backwards (depends what gear you select) for a few steps but won’t actually drive.

Checked and cleaned all electric plugs on gearbox and earth cable going from gearbox to the battery.

Of course checked oil level on reservoir before doing anything else and it’s on maximum.

Electric pump kicking in when opening the driver door.

I’m now stuck and can’t figure out how to get my punto back in gear and drivable.

PLEASE HELP, if anyone has had anything like this or could know what to check next and possible issues.

can’t find any wiring diagrams either so makes a little more complicated

Thank you in advance everyone!

Last edited:
Hello varesecrazy,
I actually didn’t check them, however when I checked the live data I did also check the brake light switch and was working fine.
However I’ll check the lights just to be 100% sure tomorrow.
Thanks

Hello again, double checked the brake lights and all working fine as I thought.
Any more suggestions?
Thanks

Thank you varesecrazy, I’m new using the website, will I have to message him privately or will he get a notification from your tag?
Thank you for your understanding and help ��

Thank you.
I’m Italian that’s why I like my fiats lol, but been in UK for over 7 years.
I suppose from your username you’re based in Italy?

You seem to have covered the common failure otems well :)

Member irc might have some more suggestions
Hi
Other than a fault in the brake light circuit (you've tried most relevant diagnostic steps already) I suspect an actuator problem.
However, a couple more things worth trying...
1... Engine running, repeatedly press the brake pedal while selecting "+". If it successfully gets to 1 and 2 and stays there while doing this, keep looking at brake circuit.

2... at the top rear of the unit is a black cover with 2 or 3 torx screws. This is the end cover for the "S-cam". It can get contaminated with water or other muck, and cause similar problems. There is a post somewhere on here about how to clean it out. I think it is in the GP section, and may have been written by forum user bencey, or perhaps burrowsdeano. Don't have a link to it available so you may have to search.

Hello irc,
Thank you for your help, I will definitely check what you’ve advised. Pardon me, but didn’t quite get where the black cover for the “S-cam” is? Would you mind explaining me what unit do you mean?

Will try and get a photo when I'm back at the workshop.
Attachments may help in the meantime. Screenshot_20210331-195338_Word.jpegScreenshot_20210331-195349_Word.jpeg

Thank you IRC, thank you for the pictures you’ve attached.
I think the unit looks different than the one I have on my car, from my understanding I have a CFC300 robot on my gearbox?
I’ve taken some pictures aswell to show you.
Thank you

Attachments

• FEE64D8C-757C-4685-AF87-E7ADFE027D29.jpeg
    FEE64D8C-757C-4685-AF87-E7ADFE027D29.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 368
  • 9FB5C729-164E-4BCB-9A3B-618A2E4A16F3.jpeg
    9FB5C729-164E-4BCB-9A3B-618A2E4A16F3.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 185
  • 1B1063A4-1041-49F4-A32A-C2509DD699C6.jpeg
    1B1063A4-1041-49F4-A32A-C2509DD699C6.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 161
Hi
Other than a fault in the brake light circuit (you've tried most relevant diagnostic steps already) I suspect an actuator problem.
However, a couple more things worth trying...
1... Engine running, repeatedly press the brake pedal while selecting "+". If it successfully gets to 1 and 2 and stays there while doing this, keep looking at brake circuit.

2... at the top rear of the unit is a black cover with 2 or 3 torx screws. This is the end cover for the "S-cam". It can get contaminated with water or other muck, and cause similar problems. There is a post somewhere on here about how to clean it out. I think it is in the GP section, and may have been written by forum user bencey, or perhaps burrowsdeano. Don't have a link to it available so you may have to search.
Have also tried to engage gear as you suggest but nothin happens, just constantly beeping and giving the ‘gear unavailable’ message.

You have probably already considered the possibility of a failed clutch as you know it's just a manual box with a robot on top. :idea: It just gets too complicated with the electronics but with a manual box you'd already know something's not quite right with the clutch if no power gets transfered to the wheels. Fixing it comes with a cost unfortunately. The car itself is not yet too old to be fixed.

Hello eeeno, thanks for the reply.
Also got a little update:
Got a little further with the diagnostic yesterday. Tried a friend’s diagnostic tool, first time I got these dtcs
‘B1053 Inertia Switch command engine control node’
Then erased this and got a ‘U0422 Inertia function from engine ecu, then erased this and got a ‘U0019 Can error signal not valid’ from the instrument panel.
Then after erasing this again to check it would come back, I got another different code!
One from the gearbox this time, ‘P2913 unknown fault’. Erased this and for about half an hour the message and warning light disappeared. I could now select Reverse, auto, manual and neutral without any issues but only with the ignition on, once you’d start the engine, some of these codes would just come back and the fault will appear again.

You have probably already considered the possibility of a failed clutch as you know it's just a manual box with a robot on top. :idea: It just gets too complicated with the electronics but with a manual box you'd already know something's not quite right with the clutch if no power gets transfered to the wheels. Fixing it comes with a cost unfortunately. The car itself is not yet too old to be fixed.
Hello eeeno, thanks for your reply.
Just a quick update.

Got a little further with the diagnostic yesterday. Tried a friend’s diagnostic tool, first time I got these dtcs
‘B1053 Inertia Switch command engine control node’
Then erased this and got a ‘U0422 Inertia function from engine ecu, then erased this and got a ‘U0019 Can error signal not valid’ from the instrument panel.
Then after erasing this again to check it would come back, I got another different code!
One from the gearbox this time, ‘P2913 unknown fault’. Erased this and for about half an hour the message and warning light disappeared. I could now select Reverse, auto, manual and neutral without any issues but only with the ignition on, once you’d start the engine, some of these codes would just come back and the fault will appear again.

Back