Technical Dualogic 500L

Currently reading:
Technical Dualogic 500L

stuartmunn

Does anyone have the automatic version of the 500L?

I believe this is the TCT gearbox as fitted to Alfa Romeos and its not the same gearbox as fitted to the Panda etc?

Can anyone confirm ? What is it like to drive?

Last edited:

I believe this is the TCT gearbox as fitted to Alfa Romeos and its not the same gearbox as fitted to the Panda etc?

Hi there.
I have a 500L Trekking with the 1.3 Diesel and Dualogic transmission. After 8 months and 6,500 miles I can honestly say I find it a brilliant combination. It is a 5 speed that can be driven in full auto or cluchless manual using the stick or paddles on the steering wheel. I have only ever used mine in full auto and sometimes use the paddles to shift up quicker.
I do a lot of city driving using the stop-start and get around 56 mpg Out on the open road I get around 67 mpg. I suppose its what your use to, I had a Citroen C3 sensonic that was pretty jerky and a bit slow to change and went back to traditional autos which were smooth shifters but poor on fuel consumption. I'm happy I chose the Fiat as an all round package its a great car the motor is strong and the shifting smooth and still makes me smile every time I climb onboard.
Take a test drive before you choose then you will know if this car is right for you.
Hope this helps. Happy motoring.

It's not the TCT, at least not in Europe. Only the americans have the TCT in the 500L.
The one in the european 500L is the same type as the one in the Panda (I don't know if it's the exact same gearbox, but the system is the same).

And for comparison I had the same type of gearbox in a Lancia Ypsilon some years ago and I was very pleased. Not the quickest gearbox but very relaxing once You learned how to drive it (which didn't take long).
I would not hesitate to buy a Fiat with the same type of gearbox again, although the TCT will be preferred over the Dualogic.

Last edited:
It's not the TCT, at least not in Europe. Only the americans have the TCT in the 500L.
The one in the european 500L is the same type as the one in the Panda (I don't know if it's the exact same gearbox, but the system is the same).

And for comparison I had the same type of gearbox in a Lancia Ypsilon some years ago and I was very pleased. Not the quickest gearbox but very relaxing once You learned how to drive it (which didn't take long).
I would not hesitate to buy a Fiat with the same type of gearbox again, although the TCT will be preferred over the Dualogic.

It is worth noting though that the auto box as fitted to the 500L in the US has been the source of quite a number of reliability issues. The dualogic transmission as fitted here does seem to be the better bet in terms of reliability, if perhaps not driveability.

Thanks guys

Hmm I really liked the TCT in the Alfa Giulietta when I tried it. I cant seem to find much info on the gearbox itself ... I guess I'll need to actually try one out but there are none in Aberdeen to "test drive".

If its the same as the Panda then its using a robotised gear change so basically a manual box but with a hydrualic mechanical gearchange controlled by software. Thats why the economy is good. I tried one out in a previous Fiat Panda and it was veeerrrry slow to change gear. Similar system in my mum's old Renault Modus again very slow in operation and a bit clunky. Whereas the TCT was seamless.

There were some reliability issues with the TCT initially but it seems fairly good now.

Thanks for info & experience.

Cheers

stuart

It is worth noting though that the auto box as fitted to the 500L in the US has been the source of quite a number of reliability issues. The dualogic transmission as fitted here does seem to be the better bet in terms of reliability, if perhaps not driveability.

Do you happen to know why FIAT fitted a different gearbox in the North American models? Seems like a science experiment gone wrong.

Do you happen to know why FIAT fitted a different gearbox in the North American models? Seems like a science experiment gone wrong.

TBH I don't (somebody on here may though)

My guess is they just decided the type fitted in the US was more suited to that particular market. Just as you guys got different engine choices too.

I would much rather have the gearbox that you have than what was unleashed here. There has been a recall on it, that was applied to my car the day before I bought it and yet it still failed 7 months later. The DDCT lost its mind and wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. They recently had to replace the TCM (Transmission Control Module).

I don't mind the concept of the DDCT, I just want it to be reliable. From what I read on this forum Europe seems to have gotten the better product.

Does anyone know how well the manual transmission holds up?

TBH I don't (somebody on here may though)

My guess is they just decided the type fitted in the US was more suited to that particular market. Just as you guys got different engine choices too.

Well we do like power under the bonnet you know. :)

The new 2015 500L is going to be equipped with an Aisin Automatic gearbox. Whenever they arrive.

Some Studios have one (1) 2015 model listed as inventory on their website. However under closer inspection you will see a graphic that reads "Vehicle is in Transit ".

They must be swimming across the Atlantic, like in one of the commercials, as no Studio that I've inquired at can give me an ETA.

Seriously though, there appears to be an excess of 2014 models still on Studio lots as there was a stop sale in August and September. I believe it was due to an airbag recall.

Such a shame that the launch of these really cool cars has been mired with problems.

Does anyone know how well the manual transmission holds up?

From memory there have been a couple of reports on here relating to minor adjustments to the selection of reverse and sixth (its cable operated) but other than that nothing AFAIK.

We are on 20,000 miles and 15 months with ours and it's been problem free FWIW.

Such a shame that the launch of these really cool cars has been mired with problems.

FIAT certainly seem to have done themselves no favours with regard to their reputation in the US for sure. Given the size of the market over their that has to be a bit of an 'own goal'.

MJG

Thank you for the feedback on the manual gearbox I may end up with one as a Lemon Law remedy I have read about some odd behaviour when reversing up a hill, something to do with the clutch and pressure plate That does trouble me a bit yet the 2015 model year has not arrived here. Are they available there?

With regard to the debut of the 500L into the U.S. market, I agree with you I hope that the reputation can be salvaged. The 500L is a wonderful car, sans the Dodge Dart gearbox.

I first saw them in France in October 2013 and immediately wanted one. I later found out that FIAT was starting to sell them in the US

I did a little research, not enough I suppose, on the vehicle. For example I d/l the app for this forum on my iPhone and monitored the conversations I also looked at CarSurvey.org. Unfortunately the FIAT you have is not the same thing that was unleashed here.

Another point that you made about the size of the market here. Would you believe that in the time that I've owned the 500L (8 months) that I've only seen three others on the road. Sure the Studios have plenty On the other hand you do see plenty of the cinquecento models out and about.

MJG

Thank you for the feedback on the manual gearbox I may end up with one as a Lemon Law remedy I have read about some odd behaviour when reversing up a hill, something to do with the clutch and pressure plate That does trouble me a bit yet the 2015 model year has not arrived here. Are they available there?

With regard to the debut of the 500L into the U.S. market, I agree with you I hope that the reputation can be salvaged. The 500L is a wonderful car, sans the Dodge Dart gearbox.

I first saw them in France in October 2013 and immediately wanted one. I later found out that FIAT was starting to sell them in the US

I did a little research, not enough I suppose, on the vehicle. For example I d/l the app for this forum on my iPhone and monitored the conversations I also looked at CarSurvey.org. Unfortunately the FIAT you have is not the same thing that was unleashed here.

I haven't heard or read about any issues with regards to reversing with the manual transmission. Ours is regularly reversed out of our drive which is an admittedly very shallow short incline but we have never ever had a problem. But that is not a rigorous test I admit.

I'm sure the 2015 models must be available now though I haven't checked. That said much of the attention on the 500 is focussed on the X over here at the moment with it's imminent launch due. In fact dealers are inviting contact now regarding the 'opening edition'.

Back