General Duallogic Rattle

Currently reading:
General Duallogic Rattle

Hi

I have had my Panda know for a few weeks and am getting on with it really well. It is an Eleganza 2004 1.2 Duallogic and has done 32k.

However I have noticed that when the gears change up or down I can hear a slight rattle type noise from the engine. As I say this is only slight so I am not sure if it has been there from when I got the car or if it has just appeared:confused: and you can only really hear it a low speeds.

Does anyone know if this is normal or am I just being picky and stupid?

Thanks

hey there

I think you should get it checked out especially if it's still under warrenty. Hopefully you have good Fiat Dealers in your area unlike the crap ones we have in South Wales. Unfortunately you may come to expect many rattles with the Panda. I recently changed my 05 Panda which had numerous faults to a new model with the hope that it will be problem-free. However, it also rattles, whether it be from the engine or the poor quality interior. It's only covered 5,000 miles and it rattles like mad :mad: Maybe i'm just unlucky:bang: I really love the Panda's driving dynamics, looks and cabin design but what's the point if the quality of the car is soooo bad.:( Not sure if would get another Panda again, or another Fiat in general.....:cry:

hey there

I think you should get it checked out especially if it's still under warrenty.

good advice

Hopefully you have good Fiat Dealers in your area unlike the crap ones we have in South Wales. Unfortunately you may come to expect many rattles with the Panda. I recently changed my 05 Panda which had numerous faults to a new model with the hope that it will be problem-free. However, it also rattles, whether it be from the engine or the poor quality interior. It's only covered 5,000 miles and it rattles like mad :mad: Maybe i'm just unlucky:bang: I really love the Panda's driving dynamics, looks and cabin design but what's the point if the quality of the car is soooo bad.:( Not sure if would get another Panda again, or another Fiat in general.....:cry:

superfluous rant

my panda is an excellent car and drives really well,but also suffers numerous rattles.i think generally most cars in this sector will suffer some noises as they are built to a budget although rattles are annoying as long as the car stays reliable and everything works ok thats the main thing.when i first bought the car new i used to get paranoid about any slight noise i could hear, now i have had the car about 8 months i am not so bothered i just keep telling myself how little i paid for the car,and cars that cost 3 times as much still have rattles etc as my brothers ford c max has.

superfluous rant

This is a Fiat Forum so i can rant on about Fiat's poor quality or excellent designs or whatever... Just letting the guy know about my FIAT experience which to be honest aint that good. I've been a loyal Fiat customer for years and unlike most Fiat fans on this forum i can admit that Fiat produce poor quality cars and have awful dealerships, even though they're designs are great :) ...I still love Fiat (y) whatever the problems...

my panda is an excellent car and drives really well,but also suffers numerous rattles.i think generally most cars in this sector will suffer some noises as they are built to a budget although rattles are annoying as long as the car stays reliable and everything works ok thats the main thing.when i first bought the car new i used to get paranoid about any slight noise i could hear, now i have had the car about 8 months i am not so bothered i just keep telling myself how little i paid for the car,and cars that cost 3 times as much still have rattles etc as my brothers ford c max has.

Yey so i'm not the only one:p ...totally agree...Panda is a great car to drive, however, you dont expect an £8,000 car to develop rattles with 5K on the clock:( but i'll just have to put up with it like most people do:D

Eleganza

Any other problems with your old Panda or your new one apart from rattles??

Looking at buying new or 1 year old Panda 1.2 only thing I want is aircon. I am running 1.2 60s Punto 98 its been a dam good car:worship: . It also rattles but the state of our roads and number of speed humps.

My dad runs a 02 1.6 Stilo that is solid no rattles or cabin noise .

Like the other chap said you want a cheep car got to expect less cabin trim. Remember the old Pandas you where lucky if you got an ash tray and those deck chair seats.

Eleganza

Looking at buying new or 1 year old Panda 1.2 only thing I want is aircon. I am running 1.2 60s Punto 98 its been a dam good car:worship: . It also rattles but the state of our roads and number of speed humps.

Like the other chap said you want a cheep car got to expect less cabin trim. Remember the old Pandas you where lucky if you got an ash tray and those deck chair seats.

First of all let me just say that I think the Panda is a great little car even though the build quality seems poor. My first Panda never broke down but problems began to develop. The major being the boot lock mechanism which kept failing and is a known issue. I believe the earlier models are only affected by this fault. It also developed a knocking noise underneath at low speeds, dealer could never fix. Only time will tell if my new Panda develops these problems. Apart from the numerous rattles and recent problem with my power steering all is mechanically OK (y)

ELEGANZA

PS. I may just be unlucky and your Panda proves to be solid ;)

Eleganza

look for wear on the inside edge of the front tyres,quite a few people on this forum have had this at really low mileage.adjustment to tracking seems to cure this.

Just letting the guy know about my FIAT experience which to be honest aint that good. I've been a loyal Fiat customer for years and unlike most Fiat fans on this forum i can admit that Fiat produce poor quality cars and have awful dealerships, even though they're designs are great :) ...I still love Fiat (y) whatever the problems...

Yey so i'm not the only one:p ...totally agree...Panda is a great car to drive, however, you dont expect an £8,000 car to develop rattles with 5K on the clock:( but i'll just have to put up with it like most people do:D

Fair enough but your one rant can put people off despite the facy hundreds(thousends) of others are happy with the car.Likewise with dealers,your experience is not representive of the whole network/customer base a case backed up by improved JD rating.

Build quality on the panda is generally accepted to be good.

2 rattle areas...1)underneath plastic plate & 2) behind glovebox,both 'known'

2 rattle areas...1)underneath plastic plate & 2) behind glovebox,both 'known'

Correction: 3 rattle areas. Don't forget the common Fiat rattle from the back seat locks. Most Fiat's I've owned or driven have this problem and it's also well known.

Anyway, i'm not trying to put people off Panda's. I just wouldn't recommend buying them brand new. Go for a used one (y)

Is it just noise or do you also get juddering/jerking as well?

Just a very slight noise, I don't get any juddering/jerking apart from the first few minutes when cold and then they dissapear when the engine warms up but not the noise.

Is the juddering/jerking normal on cold starts normal with the duallogic?

Thanks

Shaun

after driving locally today,the roads in our area are in such bad condition,its no wonder our cars have rattles/noises.then the do gooders say don't buy 4x4s,some roads you need them.it would be nice if local councils still re surfaced roads properly instead of the bodge job of spraying with tar then covering with stone chippings.rant over:mad:

Correction: 3 rattle areas. Don't forget the common Fiat rattle from the back seat locks. Most Fiat's I've owned or driven have this problem and it's also well known.

Anyway, i'm not trying to put people off Panda's. I just wouldn't recommend buying them brand new. Go for a used one (y)

Never came across that as a common fault,a few that wont 'lock' I admit.

Secondhand fiat more likely to rattle more,makes sense.

I would think a new one is more likely to have had factory modifications to fix earlier reported problems such as the indicator stalk not staying put which seems fixed on mine & the dualogic gearbox software has been finely tuned to iron out faults which appeared with the first batches.

Given the choice, you're often better with the last of the old model or Phase 2 rather than the first of the new.

In the mid 1990's VW made over 1000 production mods to the car in the FIRST year of production!

Back