Technical Drum brake self adjusters

Currently reading:
Technical Drum brake self adjusters

ratty

is slow and cheap
Just had the car through another MOT.

Failed, but nothing too bad. N/S ball joint was knackered, sidelights not working and handbrake failed friction test. (and an advisory on not having a sun visor on the drivers side)

Spend today doing the ball joint, swapped over the side lights (thankfully just the bulbs had blown) and thought I'd adjusted the handbrake via the adjusters on both sides.

Just took it for the retest and the N/S isn't gripping at all. But I remember this morning how it didn't look good, and the little bit of metal that works as a ratchet on the turny wheel thingy (is that how it works, don't know how to best describe is) wasn't making contact and the wheel looked well chewed up.

TL;DR: I'm just going to order a set of new adjusters . . . but they seem expensive. Where have you bought yours from?

So far I have:

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=24792&sku=316003 @ £60 :eek:

or these cheapo looking ones on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-BRAK...DA-GRANDE-PUNTO-QUBO-LANCIA-MUSA/323230497196 @ £33

Anywhere else worth a look before ordering?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Last time I needed a pair of adjusters it worked out cheaper (about £50) to buy a full kit (shoes, springs, adjusters and wheel cylinders). No idea why they are so expensive individually though.

Try a scrap yard. They will be the same on all small Fiats.

But if they are going home the wheel cylinders might not be too great. Have you looked under the dust seals?

Just had the car through another MOT.

Failed, but nothing too bad. N/S ball joint was knackered, sidelights not working and handbrake failed friction test. (and an advisory on not having a sun visor on the drivers side)

Spend today doing the ball joint, swapped over the side lights (thankfully just the bulbs had blown) and thought I'd adjusted the handbrake via the adjusters on both sides.

Just took it for the retest and the N/S isn't gripping at all. But I remember this morning how it didn't look good, and the little bit of metal that works as a ratchet on the turny wheel thingy (is that how it works, don't know how to best describe is) wasn't making contact and the wheel looked well chewed up.

TL;DR: I'm just going to order a set of new adjusters . . . but they seem expensive. Where have you bought yours from?

So far I have:

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=24792&sku=316003 @ £60 :eek:

or these cheapo looking ones on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-BRAK...DA-GRANDE-PUNTO-QUBO-LANCIA-MUSA/323230497196 @ £33

Anywhere else worth a look before ordering?

Bottom of this page, BBA191
https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Fiat/Panda/04-12/Panda 1.2 Petrol INC 4X4/Rear - Brake Pads and Shoes
They are a cheaper construction, but seem to work effectively.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Last time I needed a pair of adjusters it worked out cheaper (about £50) to buy a full kit (shoes, springs, adjusters and wheel cylinders). No idea why they are so expensive individually though.

Annoyingly it's got fairly new shoes on, I had to replace the cyclinder on one side (failed and ended up getting rescued by a garage). So I've had to get new adjusters on their own (got the ebay ones).

Also decided to get new drums since the old ones did look rather worn down, plus it's less than £50 from ECP.

Can't complain. These things wear out over time and it's not asked for much considering I pay about £650 a few years ago now (y)

If the brakes aren’t grabbing then chances are at least the shoes and maybe the drums would benefit from a change.

Just picked up some new drums today. The shoes are ok (replaced not that long ago). So once the adjusters are here, should be good for the rest of the cars life

Try a scrap yard. They will be the same on all small Fiats.

But if they are going home the wheel cylinders might not be too great. Have you looked under the dust seals?

I replaced one of the cylinders a while ago. Both still look in good order now. New drums and adjusters have been ordered. . . all should be well soon (y)

brakes should be done in pairs

full Pagid kit

Wheel cylinders
Adjusters
Springs
shoes

work out at £63.69 at euro car parts if you use the mid60 discount code

Ended up ordering the ones from ebay, but be warned, they turned out to be way too big (Too fat to fit). But managed to manually adjust the old knackered ones (I'll replace them when they need adjusting again).

Another 12 months MOT with the only new advisories being rust on every strut and spring (to be fair, I have no idea how it didn't get advisories on that last year).

This car has been a cracking buy (y) 2 years of motoring (15,000 miles later) with only consumable parts needing to be changed.

Back