Technical Dropping the rear axle

Currently reading:
Technical Dropping the rear axle

Don't know if you are intending to change the bearings in the swing arms whilst you have them off but would suggest that you do and much easier than in position on the car.
The (full) kits are not expensive and the bearings can fail.
One did on me and I only knew there was a problem when the suspension clicked/knocked and it was difficult to track the cause.

Good job so far. :worship:

Don't know if you are intending to change the bearings in the swing arms whilst you have them off but would suggest that you do and much easier than in position on the car. The (full) kits are not expensive and the bearings can fail. One did on me and I only knew there was a problem when the suspension clicked/knocked and it was difficult to track the cause.
Do you mean the bearings where the swing arm meets the axle or the hub bearings? I'd pretty much made up my mind to do the hub ones but hadn't thought about the other ones. If it is the latter, is this the sort of kit you meant:
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/dakatec/15728846

Were they tricky to fit, in particular did you need a press to get the old ones out and the new ones in?

Ideally I want this to be my one and only visit to the rear axle so it might as well all get done!

Yes they're the kits I mean.
I just drifted out the old bearings and if I remember correctly pressed in the new ones using the old bolt - it's quite clear what to do when you get to it. Definitely didn't have a hydraulic press as don't have one and the drill press not big enough.
My only concern was that I may have pushed one of the bearings in too far, if I did it doesn't seem to have hurt. Seals again just press in.
Clean everything out well and pack the "spacer" tube with the grease which I suppose is their attempt to keep water out. Mine obviously didn't work as several of the bearings were rusted and one broken - hence the knocking I was getting.

Trust this helps.

After all the work you've done it should be a doddle.

Info.
The bearings (marked 567178 & DCI) are specials and I cannot find them to purchase separately. Had to buy another kit as I chipped a bearing (could have been trying to drift it in - naughty :bang:).

Minor update.

All the parts have now been blasted and painted. Since I couldn't get the ABS sensors out I had to protect them during blasting, when I got them back the magnets in the sensor meant that area of the arm was covered in metal filings that I presume had been used as the blast medium.

I went for an etch primer followed by two coats of Bilt Hamber epoxy mastic (https://bilthamber.com/product/epoxy-mastic/) and then a clearcoat on top for UV protection (not that there will be much UV under there but it made it shiny). I've got some cavity wax to go in the hollow sections when the time comes. The painting isn't perfect as there are a few small runs but I'm happy the metal is well protected now. I don't want to have to look at this again for the rest of my ownership.

Since I'm in no rush to get the car back together the parts are sitting on the floor so the paint can really harden off before assembly. I do have a few parts to order now, springs, shocks, suspension arm bearings, flexible brake hoses and I might do the hub bearings while I'm at it. I shall need to recharge the coffers a bit before that order goes in though.

Talking of the hub bearings I needed to put the handle of my socket wrench into a six foot weightlifting bar (it was a perfect fit) in order to get enough torque to remove the nuts, you can see a picture of it propped up against the filing cabinet. I've got my local mechanic lined up to help me torque them back up correctly.

So far so good, fingers crossed for the next phase.

Attachments

• PXL_20211123_104340472.jpg
    PXL_20211123_104340472.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20211123_104343630.jpg
    PXL_20211123_104343630.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20211027_133326952.jpg
    PXL_20211027_133326952.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
Back