Technical Dropping rear beam. Any advice?

Currently reading:
Technical Dropping rear beam. Any advice?

GrumpyOldMan

Hello all,
in July I have a week off work so I'm finally hoping to get around to sorting out my rear bushes. I intend to drop the rear beam out so I can paint up the underside of the bodywork.
I know some of you guys have done this job so just wondered if there are any points I need to look out for. (I looked for a guide but there doesn't seem to be one).
How high does the car need to be supported off the ground and are the jacking points the best place for the axle stands? Do I need to remove the exhaust? Anything else I need to know apart from lots and lots of plus gas?
Talking of Plus Gas, if you have a PoundWorld in your area try some of their DP60. It's surprisingly good. 300ml can for a quid.
Whilst it's out I have new brake drums and cylinders to fit and I'll prob put a new handbrake cable in whilst I'm under there even though current one is only a couple of years old.
Cheers,

Ian.

I would defo change the hard pipe on the arm the minimum.

There are two triangle bit i put axel stand on.

I don't like to drop everything as a whole, i like to remove both arms, then drop the beam. And becareful with the fuel tank bolts if they have not been off before.

Yeah defo remove the back box, for the same of one clamp and one rubber mount!

Ming

Good point about taking the arms off first. It'll probably mean I can get more leverage to get the nuts undone as well as reducing the weight for lifting it out.
Fuel tank was changed about 3 or 4 years ago so bolts should be okay.
Will do the pipes and probably the hoses as well. I'm intending to do just about everything connected whilst it's all out.
Thanks,
Ian.

Remove as much as possible from the arms before dropping them. they are pretty heavy with the drums on. I would inspect the retaining clips and back plates, etc. These might need replacing too.

Last edited:
Back