Technical Drop links and broken springs

Currently reading:
Technical Drop links and broken springs

przybyla7

I have a hypothesis, and am looking for someone to rubbish it.

I noticed that distinctive drop link failed noise a few days ago.

Whilst investigating the noise (which I refused to believe was drop links because they were new), I discovered a broken spring. Only the last 100mm or so, but enough to push the strut out of line.

Replaced that, and then noticed anti roll bar looked asymmetrical. Measured it, and found it was about 75 mm away from central, pushed in the direction the failed spring was moving the strut.

So, my hypothesis is, the spring broke, gradually pushed the arb across (I know it was central to start with because I made it so), which put unexpected stresses on the drop links, which caused them to fail prematurely.

Anyone had same? I know drop links fail on our beasts, but 2 going within a year of fitting (from different suppliers) seems a bit much. Have replaced the worst one from my stash (the ball popped out of the socket with hand pressure:eek:), and the noise is only on the other side now.

Re: Drop links premature failure and anti-roll bar bushes.

The plot thickens.

Both drop links changed (someone on ebay is selling them for £3.75 including delivery), and noise all gone.

Both sides failed in the same way - the lower ball simply popped out pf the socket using hand pressure.

Looking at the two dead links, I am convinced the reason they failed is the anti roll bar shifted about 5 cm to the driver's side after the passenger side front spring lost a few cm.

My thoughts for sharing are that the ARB needs to be refitted very carefully after changing the bushes to ensure it is central. The original drop links lasted 110,000 miles before I renewed them as a precaution less than a year ago when I did the ARB bushes. The new ones failed in less than a year, and they were from different (reputable) suppliers. I know I refitted the ARB centrally, so hence my conviction that the bar being off-centre (or moving in my case) will kill drop links in a very short time.

The plot thickens.

Both drop links changed (someone on ebay is selling them for £3.75 including delivery), and noise all gone.

Both sides failed in the same way - the lower ball simply popped out pf the socket using hand pressure.

Looking at the two dead links, I am convinced the reason they failed is the anti roll bar shifted about 5 cm to the driver's side after the passenger side front spring lost a few cm.

My thoughts for sharing are that the ARB needs to be refitted very carefully after changing the bushes to ensure it is central. The original drop links lasted 110,000 miles before I renewed them as a precaution less than a year ago when I did the ARB bushes. The new ones failed in less than a year, and they were from different (reputable) suppliers. I know I refitted the ARB centrally, so hence my conviction that the bar being off-centre (or moving in my case) will kill drop links in a very short time.
On the arb there should be two plastic discs , one inboard of each arb mounting point. These discs keep the arb central-ish.
You could try fitting some hose clamps around your ARB if plastic discs missing.
Broken suspension spring will cause drop link to fail quickly.
There are lots of rubbish drop links around that don't last.

On the arb there should be two plastic discs , one inboard of each arb mounting point. These discs keep the arb central-ish.
You could try fitting some hose clamps around your ARB if plastic discs missing.
Broken suspension spring will cause drop link to fail quickly.
There are lots of rubbish drop links around that don't last.

Thanks - glad to hear I my suspicions were correct. No idea where the marking disks have gone on the ARBS, but I will try your hose clip idea, if only to see if it moves again.

Loving my car again now the noise has gone, and learned a valuable lesson in not assuming a part can fail just because it is new.

Back