Technical DRL buld blown 3 times

Currently reading:
Technical DRL buld blown 3 times

d4zzl3r

Hi - hope someone can help me please?

The passenger side DRL buld has blown 3 times in the last 4-5 months. Is it a known issue? I don't want to put another one for it to blow again, but is it an MOT failure? There is a menu option to term them off.

I'm not sure if its related or whether i've just not noticed it before, but on the speedo the warning lights next to the right-indicator repeater/dash light seem to be ever so slightly illuminated. Might be my eyes and i can't honestly say ita always been like that (don't think it has).

Only way i can describe it is like on older cars when the light from one warning light would spread out and make you think it was something else when in reality it was just the lap-holder working loose.

Check the DRL bulb holders.
As they are constantly on the contacts inside can get mucky or burn through.

Clean them out with some contact cleaner and scrape the tangs carefully with a bit of emery paper.

We've a couple of later Pandas in the family and the DRL's have all blown recently due to bad contacts. On the 2012 car it's actually started burning the metal tang through on one of the contacts.
They are dual filiment bulbs (5w when the headlights are on and brighter 21w when they aren't) so there should be two tangs in the bottom of the holders, so you know in case one has burnt away.

The dash problem might be this.
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/484776-instument-cluster-fault-mot-question.html

Seems it's a common problem, likely due to broken soldered joints and it's earthing/drawing power through another point on the circuit board, hence it lighting up other warning lights.

There are plenty of places that can test and repair the clusters if you get it out.

Hi - hope someone can help me please?

The passenger side DRL buld has blown 3 times in the last 4-5 months. Is it a known issue?

I'm not sure if its related or whether i've just not noticed it before, but on the speedo the warning lights next to the right-indicator repeater/dash light seem to be ever so slightly illuminated. Might be my eyes and i can't honestly say ita always been like that (don't think it has).

Hi

The dash sounds like the common failure.. it just 'glows'.. its a build fault in the dash

Shame the bulbs are so awkward to access :eek:

On my punto I swapped them over to check it was the bulb at fault.. not the power supply

Back