Driving

Currently reading:
Driving

juliezax

Just started my driving lesson last week.... not easy... :( think I'm gonna quit... still learning on how to turn left and right and all those stuff.. :cry:

was in wrong section.

stick at it, everyone learns at different rates, not everyone is good at it from the start. with time and practice you'll soon learn, then you get the freedom of having your own car and being able to go where you want, when you want.

If it's the first week you've got plenty to go from and i'm sure your instructor will help you and in a few weeks you'll be driving round fine.

Last edited:
Stick to it, for some people it doesn't come straight away. Once you get the hang of it, after a few lessons you should become more confindent about your skill.

Mates girlfriend failed her 13th driving test today, shes now given up lol. (My mate took 11 mind you)

on my first lesson i was only supposed to be driving slowly and learning the basic controls. but my instructor ended up letting me take it for a spin on a main road. he said to stick at 50mph maximum... i decided 60 was better :D

you will learn all the requirements in time, it just might take you longer then others (y)

good luck :)

It's just building up your confidence and co-ordination whilst driving. Only difficult part is getting the observation right and displaying so during your test.

I Was the same as Josh was taken out into the middle of the sticks in the end i was allowed to drive back into town :D

if you have never driven at all before you will need to literally start from scratch which takes time just getting basic inputs sorted such as how much to turn the wheel for a given turn can only come with a bit of practice...

I had a bit of knowledge about driving from about the age of 13 i regularly put my dads car in the garage for him along with getting it out and turning it round on the patio. Combined with a yearly drive when on the family holiday on a family friends (empty/overflow camping field) christ i can remember been sat on my dads knee (at 5 years old ish)so i could steer it around the camp site

I remember my first lesson, 7 mph down a country road terrified.
Soon came to me though. I wasted loads of money with an instructor I didn't get on with. When I finally switched the new guy was a breath of fresh air, put me at ease and straight in for my test, which I duly passed.

I hated driving when I was learning and was only learning because I'd moved from a big city to a rural area and needed to get around. I also (some of you who know me won't believe this) hated going fast :eek: As you gain skills and confidence, it will pass and you will begin to enjoy yourself (y)

Keep us updated :D

I remember my first lesson, 7 mph down a country road terrified.

snap, except it was through harrow town centre, at rush hour, shakey legs, trembling hands, sweating bullets, and cacking bricks, didn't help it was a nova i was learning in either, instructor was a total tool, with almost no interpersonal skills. ditched him pronto, new instructor and car, a sunny, so much better, and confidence grows from there.

give yourself a chance julie, you'll be fine(y)

Dad tried to teach me, gave up. Taught myself, which is probably scarier because of nobody there with dual controls. Drove around my housing estate hundreds if not thousands of times, and around the town 4/5am Sunday mornings when nobodies about also.

Took a few pretests before my actual test which just turned in to driving around talking about Fiat and MG... passed first time. Instructors really aren't needed, but I guess they do help.

Dad tried to teach me, gave up. Taught myself, which is probably scarier because of nobody there with dual controls. Drove around my housing estate hundreds if not thousands of times, and around the town 4/5am Sunday mornings when nobodies about also.

Took a few pretests before my actual test which just turned in to driving around talking about Fiat and MG... passed first time. Instructors really aren't needed, but I guess they do help.
Same here, Dad did my head in so got an instructor to take me out twice a week for around three weeks and passed first time (only 17 at the time). Although I did have some prior driving experience from around the age of 14 or so - given a car on private land (uncles farm) and told to teach myself to drive...took me a while to figure out that you just don't jump off the clutch! :idea:

Never had a problem with speed, I'm a 'brisk' driver,and was as a learner...I was just comfortable at greater speeds than some learners are - no points though :devil:

All depends on who you have I find. I wouldn't want my parents teaching me to drive, mainly because they've been driving for 20+ years, and its completley different, and they have picked up bad habbits over the years (Hell I have and its not even been two years yet).

I've often heard that if people dont get on with their instructor, then its harder, I only had one, and got on with him great, didn't push you too fast, had lots of pactiance (I really couldn't do that, I get pissed off when a learner doesn't pull away when there is a gap, one that I wouldn't have gone when I was learning to drive lol).

I never really had a problem driving just jumped in and away i went :D:D
(not alot of people believe that though :rolleyes:)
I was nervous at first of hitting things going around corners because at first i wasnt the best at judging steering but that soon past.

Best advise i ever heard is to just take your time and don't try to rush things it will come eventually and you'll think to yourself how did i not get this before. (y)(y)

I had a little driving experience before I turned 17, and then once I turned 17 I'd been out dozens of times with my mum (only twice with my dad lol!) before I had any lessons. I took 10 lessons before I passed but tbh I was ready a few weeks before I finally passed - just had to wait for the test date.

I had to swap instructors half way through, and even though my first one was alright, my second one was a lot better - think it helped we just clicked a bit more.

Stick with it, in my experience people who take more lessons to be ready for their test always come out with fewer minors - sounds obvious I know, but its one of those situations where you take lessons to learn how to pass the test, then you learn to really drive. you might just struggle to be under that pressure of having an experienced driver with you, knowing your mates are learning etc...

You'll be fine, look at some of the nutters on the road that have been passed :D

the first thing i drove with power was a car in a field, when i was 8 or 9.

Nearly 12 years later im obsessed with anything that has a means of propulsion :D
(took me 5 times to get through the sodding test though)

Just started my driving lesson last week.... not easy... :( think I'm gonna quit... still learning on how to turn left and right and all those stuff.. :cry:

my GF came home crying after her first lesson. she was shaking and refused to get behind the wheel ever again.

a few slaps later, er i mean after some encouragement she agreed to try a different intructor. this time she tried a young female instructor (who imo was utter crap). my GF felt more comfortable with that instructor.

she failed her test the first time. we had tears again and she refused to try again, but after i forced, erm persuaded her to rebook she tried again, and again failed. she really wanted to give up at that point, but i wouldnt let her because a driving license is so important in life. thankfully she passed the 3rd time.

it isnt easy & it isnt cheap, but you MUST do it. not having a car on the road is a disability.

i took an instant dislike to my first intrsuctor. got a new one for my second lesson, passed first time a few months later.

stick at it.

After my first lesson, the day of my 17th birthday, I was put in for my test :D

It was different back then :devil:

:ROFLMAO:....

My bike test lasted 15mins - none of this pursuit nonsense - just ride around the test centre clockwise, then again counter-clock wise while the examiner stood on the pavement and watched you (y)

Honda H100 to GSX-R750 in 900 seconds :D

Back