Driving styles

Currently reading:
Driving styles

Doesn't block change make a more lazy driver? I would have thought that sequential changing makes the driver think futher ahead and look further ahead for obstacles like roundabouts and T junctions. Sequential changing also means you get fewer people coming into roundabouts at 60mph and leaving their braking and gear change to the last possible moment (seems to be more of it around). The block change tempts drivers to use hard, late braking doesn't it. I've been in cars where the driver block changes, as a passenger I find it uncomfortable.

Doesn't block change make a more lazy driver? I would have thought that sequential changing makes the driver think futher ahead and look further ahead for obstacles like roundabouts and T junctions.
no it aims to do the opposite, you spend less time changing gear and more time observing. that is the main argument for block changing down in your test.

Sequential changing also means you get fewer people coming into roundabouts at 60mph and leaving their braking and gear change to the last possible moment (seems to be more of it around).
the speed of your approach remains the same.

The block change tempts drivers to use hard, late braking doesn't it. I've been in cars where the driver block changes, as a passenger I find it uncomfortable.
no, you brake the same as usual.

Doesn't block change make a more lazy driver? I would have thought that sequential changing makes the driver think futher ahead and look further ahead for obstacles like roundabouts and T junctions. Sequential changing also means you get fewer people coming into roundabouts at 60mph and leaving their braking and gear change to the last possible moment (seems to be more of it around). The block change tempts drivers to use hard, late braking doesn't it. I've been in cars where the driver block changes, as a passenger I find it uncomfortable.

My answer to that is.. Don't like when I choose to brake? Walk :D

Sequential changing is only needed if you're going fast.. and I mean very fast. Using each gear to maintain the control over the vehicle as you brake hard.

Last edited:
Why teach sequential changing for the test? Wouldn't it be better to teach everyone the same method as early in their driving career as possible? I learned 20+ years ago, must be stuck in my ways.:p

Hellcat, remember to give way to pedestrians.... it could be me!:rolleyes:

When I was learning it was sequential changing only, I seem to remember that you could fail your test if you did anything else. Passed my test in 1985, the test was 30 minutes in total, 20 minutes of driving and 4 questions from the highway code. Those were the days:p

When you drive a punto 55s day in day out you realize 1st is useless when pulling off on a downwards slope and you also realise that 3rd and 4th are the same gear.

I tend to change from 3rd to 5th a lot because using 4th in the middle just seems pointless. It seems to rev just the same as 3rd.

Thanks lads sorry i ant replyed learnt alot form this act .. i am still gunna try going trought the gears 1 by 1 but i might start to bloack change could make life easyer

Me and my sister in law learnt to drive at the same time but by different instructors, she was taught to go down through the gears 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 when coming to a stop. I was never taught like that my instructor just said, thats a waste of time don't bother, so I didn't!

Back