Driving styles

Currently reading:
Driving styles

steedy27

Alright All

I have passed my test for about a month now woo!! and my mate took me for a little spin in his car and i realised that he misses gears E.g From 2-4 and 3-5 ect i ask him and he said that he was tought that way:confused: My driving instructor made me use all the gears in sequence apart from slowing down....
Is there any actual reason to do this .. does it incease wear in anyparts ect

Sorry random i no!!

Venters

bairns, not bombs.
I miss the occasional gear but only in certain situation.
If I pull out into a 40, I'll let 2nd run longer and change straight to 4th or 5th depending on the road.

spose it depends on the speed your doing, for example if you've just pulled from a junction into a 30 zone, then you'd probably stretch 2nd gear and plonk it in 4th and drive keep it at the limit.

bulldog5046

faster! FASTER!!!
1st then into 5th if i wanna drive a bit faster than granny pace, 1st to 3rd if i wanna keep up with fast flowing traffic, 1st to 2nd if i wanna thrill ride :devil:

I've never driven a car that liked having gears missed.
On lorries and coaches it's normal practice but not in a car, there's not enough torque, unles you're in a Veyron maybe.

FDF

Marea Scrappaged :(
wouldn't do much for your fuel consumption, plus you're making the engine work harder than it needs to. I would think the clutch would suffer a bit too.

-DrEw-

Resident DJ
If i'd just set off from a junction going down a hill then its ok to set off in 2nd but apart from that i use every gear, even when slowing down! :D

StevenRB45

Upstanding Member for Newcastle
If i'm pulling out into traffic and its a bit fine then i'll use 1,2,5...use the first 2 to match the road speed of the traffic then straight to 5 once im not accelerating

jug

blessed are the apostates
its called a block change, your instructor should make you familiar with it, there are situations where it is appropriate.

the main use of block changing is when you shift down through the gears. going 5,4,3,2,1, on approach to a stop is considered bad practice because it diverts attention from the road and creates unneccessary tasks and causes excess wear on the clutch and gearbox. a block change down from 5th or 4th to 2nd or 1st is usually the most common use of block changing. you are expected to do that on your test and the examiner should check to see if you are doing it. for example if you are approaching a junction where you know you wil need to stop, you apply the brake with it in 5th or 4th (depending on the situation) and you do not change gear until you get your speed right down, then change directly into 1st. changing down through each gear in that situation is considered a bad habit and unneccessary.

when you are taught block changes you are also taught brake gear overlap, which is appropriate for use during your block change down and an important part of maintaining control of the car. i guess you were not taught this either if you were not taught block changes?

a block change up the gears is not required on a test, or considered good practice in general, however it is recommended that if you hit the limit of a gear you block change up 2 gears, but that is a recommendation designed for average drivers (think your mother here) and it is not something i would do unless i was taking it easy AND i was in a situaiton where i was forced to leave it in a certain gear for longer than i usually would when taking it easy. for example you leave it in 1st to the rev limiter because you're pulling away while going round a very tight bend and need to get up to speed, so i hit 30mph in 1st and then slip it into 3rd, missing out 2nd.

Last edited:

jug

blessed are the apostates
i thought about it for years, then i realised i would have to work 12 hour shifts to match my current wages, and it would only be a matter of time before some 17 year old girl got me in lots of trouble for teaching her some special manovers :D

Hellcat

zombie nation
I've never driven a car that liked having gears missed.
On lorries and coaches it's normal practice but not in a car, there's not enough torque, unles you're in a Veyron maybe.

Not enough torque? Nearly always 1,2,4 in the Tipo. 3rd gear was reserved for enthusiastic driving. Now I can 1,2,4,6 :D

it would only be a matter of time before some 17 year old girl got me in lots of trouble for teaching her some special manovers :D

"Change gear. Don't change gear. Change gear. Don't change gear. Change gear. Don't change gear. Change gear very quickly, keep changing keep changing keep changing..."!
:D