General Driving in Europe. . . .

Currently reading:
General Driving in Europe. . . .

Obrooks

BLAP BLAP
hey guys and girls. im driving through belgium and france next week and will need to either get those stickers for headlights or some other way of adjusting my beam. Anybody know where to get them and if you can think of anythin else i need for driving in europe your help will be appreciated (y)

cheers.

You can get them anywhere, halfords or even some petrol stations. You also need to ring you insurance if you havnt already and get cover. And in france you need a high viz vest IN your car, so you can put it on before going to your boot etc. And then obvisouly anything you feel you may need, a spare, some tools, a jack etc...

Work or pleasure?

hey guys and girls. im driving through belgium and france next week and will need to either get those stickers for headlights or some other way of adjusting my beam. Anybody know where to get them and if you can think of anythin else i need for driving in europe your help will be appreciated (y)

cheers.

in your manual there is a page showing u where you need to cover on the headlight, I just used black electrical tape as to get the stickers of fiat you have to buy headlight protectors. You will also need a warning triangle and a hi-vis vest for when in France as they made it law u needed one in the boot, not sure if it's one per car or one per person though!

Halfords sell the beam things.
Pretty sure you need to have a High Viz in the front with you and also a warning triangle in the veichle.

yeah i read that i needed a hi-vis jacket and warning triangle. gona get that sorted. as for the stickers, i thought a bit of tape would work, just checking.

and its 'pleasure'. me and my mate last minute decided to go on a mish :D

And watch your speed on French tolled Autoroutes... French police have a habit of timing your journey between entry and exit... on the spot fines FTW as far as French cops are concerned, and UK drivers are fair game... :p

oh and also, how weird is it driving on the other side of the road? not as bad as you think or worse?

Worst thing IMO is roundabouts, Jeez you have to stay shaaaaarp! :eek:

Lidl have hi viz vests and warning triangles in just now - £1.99 for the vest, think it was £3.99 for the triangle. Also have great first aid packs at £3.99.

Best to have some decent break down cover for Europe as a tow home could be very expensive without it.

Lidl have hi viz vests and warning triangles in just now - £1.99 for the vest, think it was £3.99 for the triangle. Also have great first aid packs at £3.99.

:yeahthat:

Spare bulb kit is an idea too...

the highviz vest MUST BE IN THE CABIN WITHIN REACH OF THE DRIVER not in the boot.

Also for Belgum you MUST HAVE a 1kg or greater Fire extinguisher

£6 In lidl a few weeks ago (1kg dry powder CE and TVU approved)

got mine mounted near the drivers seat (just backed the trim screw out) been MED compliant the bracket ensures it doesn't move unless you unclip it

fire_extinguisher.jpg

More info here

France
http://www.rac.co.uk/know-how/going-on-a-journey/driving-abroad/countries/france.htm

Belgum

http://www.rac.co.uk/know-how/going-on-a-journey/driving-abroad/countries/belgium.htm

worth making up your car insurance as you will only normally be covered 3rd party on the continent (you take out an add on for fully comp)

Also need a GB sticker (unless you have the eec UK logo and the GB on your plates) probably a good idea to fit one anyway (stick it to the rear window) and one to the top left of your windscreen so the drivers can see your a brit and driving on the wrong side...

Dont Forget your EHIC card *(which replaced the old E111)

Get it here :

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

There are some rogue sites that charge you but it is FREE

and tell your bank a week in advance that your off on holiday so your card doesn't get blocked)

Last edited:
Once you've done a couple - and you will do one very soon after getting off the ferry if you go via Calais... you'll get used to them ;)

That and when you first go to overtake on the dual carriageways you almost forget to check your LEFT hand mirror :eek:

So dont drive when tired.... UK Autopilot dont work over there...:(

And don't forget, as well as the warning triangles and the reflective clothing you must carry a full set of replacement light bulbs.

French roads are very well signposted and driving there is easier than here. But be careful in Belgium, they don't take prisoners. And if by any chance you are driving from Calais to Luxembourg via Namur (Namen) in Belgium, make sure you have a full tank of fuel. Last time I went there wasn't a filling station for practically the whole autoroute after Brussels. Great road though.

The roads tend to be far quieter than here, and when you return you will realise what crappy, crowded, badly maintained and built roads we have in this country

i have a set of headlight and sidelight bulbs i can take, but none spare for rears, will i need them too? think im best getting everythin i need incase they decide to check for all of these things! glad i made this thread, few things i wouldve forgotten or not known about otherwise! keep the tips comin lol

i have a set of headlight and sidelight bulbs i can take, but none spare for rears, will i need them too? think im best getting everythin i need incase they decide to check for all of these things! glad i made this thread, few things i wouldve forgotten or not known about otherwise! keep the tips comin lol

Lidl again our local still has a few sets in.....

get your handbook out go to a motorfactors and ask for 1 of each bulb....

to quantify why i said motor factors not Halfords mate got 2x 501 sidelight bulbs for 50p......

Speed camera Detectors are also illegal

Belgium (Western Europe)

Touring Tips
This information should be read in conjunction with general advice for motoring in Europe.
Drinking and driving: Maximum permitted level of alcohol in the bloodstream is 0.049 per cent. If the level of alcohol in the bloodstream is between 0.05 and 0.08 per cent you will be banned from driving for three hours an issued an on the spot fine of €137.50. If you refuse to pay the fine the public prosecutor will prosecute and impose a fine up to €2,750, 0.08 per cent or more an on the spot fine of up to €550 and a ban from driving for at least six hours; if prosecution (more than 0.15 per cent) fine up to €11,000 and a licence suspension up to five years.
Driving licence: Minimum age at which a UK driving licence holder may drive temporarily imported car and / or motorcycle 18.
Fines: On-the-spot. The officer collecting the fine must issue an official receipt showing the amount of the fine. Motorists can refuse to pay an on-the-spot fine; a foreign motorist refusing to do so may be invited to make a consignation (deposit) and if he does not his vehicle will be impounded, by the police and permanently confiscated if the deposit is not paid within 96 hours. The deposit payment is €110 higher than the amount of the fine on the spot. Fines can be paid for in cash euros or debit / credit card.
Fuel: Unleaded petrol (95 and 98 octane), diesel and LPG available. No leaded petrol (anti-wear additive available). Petrol in a can is permitted, but forbidden aboard ferries and Eurotunnel. Credit cards are accepted at filling stations; check with your card issuer for usage in Belgium before travel.
Lights: Dipped headlights should be used in poor daytime visibility.
Motorcycles: Use of dipped headlights during the day compulsory. The wearing of crash helmets is compulsory for both driver and passenger.
Motor insurance: Third-party compulsory. The police can impound an un-insured
vehicle.
Passengers/children in cars: Children under 18 and less than 1.35m must use a suitable child-restraint system whether seated in the front or rear seat of a vehicle. Exception: When two child restraint systems are being used on the rear seats and there isn’t adequate room to place a third child restraint system, then the third child may travel on the back seat protected by the adult seat belt. A child under three can not be transported in a vehicle without a child seat/restraint. It is prohibited to
© The Automobile Association Limited 2009. Use of this and any other material contained in this website is governed by its
Terms and Conditions. Website http://www.theaa.com.
use a rear facing child seat on a front seat with a frontal airbag unless it is deactivated.
Seat belts: Compulsory for front / rear seat occupants to wear seat belts, if fitted.
Speed limits: Standard legal limits, which may be varied by signs, for private vehicles with or without trailers. In built-up areas up to 31 mph (50 km/h), outside built-up areas 55 mph (90 km/h) and on motorways and dual carriageways separated by a central reservation 74 mph (120 km/h).
The minimum speed on motorways 43 mph (70km/h).
A limit of 30 km/h may be indicated at the entrance to a built up area.
Vehicles with spiked tyres must not exceed 60 km/h on normal roads and 90 km/h on motorways / dual carriageways.
Compulsory equipment in Belgium:
• Reflective jacket - Drivers stranded on a Belgian motorway or on a major road (usually four-lane roads, called 'route pour automobiles' - sign E17), stopping on places where parking is not allowed, must wear a reflective safety jacket as soon as they leave their vehicle. Fine for non-compliance €50 is applicable, but the amount can be much higher (€55 - €1,375) if the driver refuses to pay or in a circumstance where the driver has to go to court (for example in the event of an accident).
• Warning triangle - Compulsory for vehicles with more than two wheels.
Other rules/requirements in Belgium:
First-aid kit and fire extinguisher recommended as their carriage is compulsory for Belgian-registered vehicles.
Traffic on a roundabout must give way to traffic coming from the right, unless indicated otherwise by road signs.
A new road sign has been introduced banning the use of cruise control on congested motorways and can also appear during motorway roadworks.
A white disc bordered in red, bearing the word 'Peage' in black indicates that drivers must stop. The Dutch word 'Tol' sometimes replaces 'Peage'.
Any vehicle standing must have its engine switched off, unless absolutely necessary.
© The Automobile Association Limited 2009. Use of this and any other material contained in this website is governed by its
A car navigation system with maps indicating the location of fixed speed cameras is permitted but equipment which actively searches for speed cameras or interferes with police equipment is prohibited.
The police can impound a vehicle with an unsafe load.
Spiked tyres are permitted from the 1st November until the 31st March. Snow chains are only permitted on snow or ice covered roads. Winter tyres are permitted from the 1st October until the 30th April, a lower speed limit needs to be adhered to and the maximum design speed for the tyres displayed on a sticker on the dashboard.
March 2009
©

France and Monaco (Western Europe)
Touring Tips
This information should be read in conjunction with our general advice for motoring in Europe.
Drinking and driving: If the level of alcohol in the bloodstream is 0.05 per cent or more (0.02% for bus/coach drivers), severe penalties include fine, imprisonment and / or confiscation of the driving licence.
Saliva drug tests will be used to detect drivers under the influence of drugs – severe penalties as above.
Driving licence: Minimum age at which a UK licence holder may drive a temporarily imported car 18, motorcycle (up to 80cc) 16, motorcycle (over 80cc) 18.
Fines: On-the-spot fines or 'deposits' are severe. An official receipt should be issued. Vehicles parking contrary to regulations may be towed away and impounded.
Fuel: Unleaded petrol (95 & 98 octane), diesel (Gazole) and LPG available. No leaded petrol (lead replacement petrol “Super carburant” available or lead substitute additive). Petrol in a can is permitted but forbidden by ferry and Eurotunnel operators.
Credit cards accepted at most filling stations; check with your card issuer for usage in France & Monaco before travel. There are now many automatic petrol pumps operated by credit / debit card however, cards issued in the UK are not always accepted by these pumps.
Lights: Dipped headlights must be used in poor daytime visibility. It is highly recommended by the French Government that 4+-wheeled vehicles use dipped headlights day and night (already compulsory for motorcycles).
Motorcycles: Use of dipped headlights during the day compulsory. The wearing of crash helmets is compulsory for both driver and passenger of any two-wheel motorised vehicle.
Motor Insurance: Third-party compulsory.
Passengers/Children in cars: Children under the age of 10 are not permitted to travel on the front seats of vehicles, unless there are no rear seats or the rear seats are already occupied with children under 10 or there are no seat belts. In these
circumstances a child must not be placed in the front seats with their back to the road if the vehicle is fitted with a passenger airbag, unless it is deactivated. They must travel in an approved child seat or restraint adapted to their size.
A baby up to 13kg must be carried in a rear facing baby seat.
A child between 9 and 18kg must be seated in a child seat and a child from 15kg up to 10 years can use a booster seat with a seat belt or a harness.
It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure all passengers under 18 are appropriately restrained.
Seat belts: Compulsory for front/rear seat occupants to wear seat belts, if fitted.
Speed limits: Standard legal limits, which may be varied by signs, for private vehicles without trailers. In built-up areas 31 mph (50 km/h), outside built-up areas 55 mph (90 km/h), but 68 mph (110 km/h) on urban motorways and dual carriageways separated by a central reservation and 80 mph (130 km/h) on motorways.
Lower speed limits of 49 mph (80 km/h) outside built-up areas, 62 mph (100 km/h) on dual carriageways and 68 mph (110 km/h) on motorways apply in wet weather and to visiting motorists who have held a driving licence for less than two years. Additionally, speed limits are reduced on stretches of motorways in built up areas. Minimum speed limit on motorways 49mph (80km/h).
Note: Holders of EU driving licenses exceeding the speed limit by more than 40 km/h will have their licenses confiscated on the spot by the police.
Compulsory equipment in France and Monaco:
• Warning triangle (excludes motorcycles)
• Snow chains - must be fitted to vehicles using snow-covered roads in compliance with the relevant road sign.
• Reflective jackets (EN471) - one reflective jacket in the vehicle. This does not apply to drivers of two-wheeled and three-wheeled vehicles.
Other rules/requirements in France and Monaco:
It is recommended that visitors equip their vehicle with a set of replacement bulbs.
In built-up areas give way to traffic coming from the right “priorité a droite”.
At signed roundabouts bearing the words "Vous n'avez pas la priorité" or "Cédez le passage" traffic on the roundabout has priority; where no such sign exists traffic entering the roundabout has priority.

© The Automobile Association Limited 2009.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advic...g_tips/france-monaco.pdf&go.x=35&go.y=9&go=Go!

Back