Driving Categories

Currently reading:
Driving Categories

Apr 30, 2006
Middle o' no where
how do i go about adding new categories to my licence?

i am after adding B+E and C1 to my licence but dont know if i need lessons or anything and alos what about a test?

had a quick read on dvla but its useless lol.

i know i can tow a trailer and such but just want to get it all added.
I've looked into these as well. You need to get in touch with one of the specialist trainers that do HGVs and the like who will take you out for an assessment, see if you need lessons then put you through that and your test, costs a few hundred depending what lessons you need :)
For you to tow a trailer you need to pass a test otherwise its illegal for you to do so.
As helz said most hgv trainers will give you lessons or put you forward for a test.

Same with class C1 which is up to 7 and a half tonne rigid vehicle

Although if you are as old as me you have them on your car license :cool:

Just found this:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7.5 Tonne Licence Acquisition[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Are you driving without a licence?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Due to a change in the law from the 1st January 1997, new holders of a Class B / Car Licence are no longer qualified to drive medium sized lorries ranging form 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes. They now must hold a licence C1. In order to obtain this licence, the candidate must pass a medical, a C1 theory and practical driving test and be over the age of eighteen[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Theory Test and H.P.T. (New Hazard Perception Test)[/FONT]
Last edited:
For you to tow a trailer you need to pass a test otherwise its illegal for you to do so.

i could be wrong but believe you can tow a trailer of upto 250kg without passing any kind of test, was brought up before on another forum.
i stand corrected

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750 kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You'll need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

You don't say when you passed your driving test, but as per previous replies, if you passed before 1st January 1997, you are entitled to drive a vehicle up to 7.5tonnes which includes a car and trailer. If you did, then it should say this on your licence, although be aware that vehicle categories have changed over the years. Cat A is now motorcycles whereas it was once manual cars. As a general note, when new legislation, such as that in Jan '97if you could drive a class of vehicles before the legislation then under "Grand- father rights" you can carry on driving those vehicles after legislation. Even though the categories on your licence will not change at the time, when you send your licence to the DVLA for whatever reason, it should automatically be updated. A note of caution though, if you send your licence in, photocopy
it first as it's not unknown for categories such as motorcycle entitlement to just disappear and then for the DVLA to say they are unable to verify that they were ever on the licence in the first place and that you will have to take the test all over again.