General Drivers window regulator failing?

Currently reading:
General Drivers window regulator failing?

My drivers window is making a horrible knock part way through the run (same noise going up or down). It almost sounds like a cog jumping, thumping. Is this likely to be a failing regulator or is there another common fault to look at? I understand that regulators are a common issue, but don't have the luxury of pulling the door apart without fixing it on the day 🤦🏼‍♂️ TIA

My drivers window is making a horrible knock part way through the run (same noise going up or down). It almost sounds like a cog jumping, thumping. Is this likely to be a failing regulator or is there another common fault to look at? I understand that regulators are a common issue, but don't have the luxury of pulling the door apart without fixing it on the day 🤦🏼‍♂️ TIA
I replaced the o/s/r window regulator on my daughter 2010 Punto Evo, it is a cable operated via gear etc, so when I fitted the new one I put loads of grease on the mechanism.
Incidentally I jammed the glass shut securely with a length of wood to keep the "rats" out and left the panel off till parts arrived.
You may know any way but there is a plastic horseshoe clip that hold the lifter to the glass.

I replaced the o/s/r window regulator on my daughter 2010 Punto Evo, it is a cable operated via gear etc, so when I fitted the new one I put loads of grease on the mechanism.
Incidentally I jammed the glass shut securely with a length of wood to keep the "rats" out and left the panel off till parts arrived.
You may know any way but there is a plastic horseshoe clip that hold the lifter to the glass.
Yes I’d seen that the “plastic clip” was often a culprit and i nearly thought I’d get one anyway as they seem cheap enough 🤣
It just sounds more metallic. Guess I’m just going to have to look in there. Have had nightmares in the past with other cars when it turned out to be the runners that had broken 😬. As it’s our main car i just don't want it to pack in when we are out or risk leaving it insecure, so i may try your wooden block trick 👍🏻

I dont know if common. I had a 2009 Panda 100HP that required both regulators replaced in quick succession when it was around 2 years old. I did another 100K miles and had no further issues. I strongly suspect new parts fitted under warranty were modified. We have a 2011 car thats still on its original ones though, so not a definite weakness, These things happen particularly if someone has tried to open a frozen window at any time in the cars life

Re the clip, I kept the old one from daughters car but it actually comes attached to the new window regulator the bit I mean and it secures the pin sticking out of the regulator that attaches it to the glass at the centre bottom.
On her car the cable had broken, it was thin and very dry/rusty, apart from the rust similar to the cheap pattern replacement , however as mentioned I gave it a good greasing etc.
It may be rain water runs down in to it causing failure, but not over engineered anyway.:)

Re the clip, I kept the old one from daughters car but it actually comes attached to the new window regulator the bit I mean and it secures the pin sticking out of the regulator that attaches it to the glass at the centre bottom.
On her car the cable had broken, it was thin and very dry/rusty, apart from the rust similar to the cheap pattern replacement , however as mentioned I gave it a good greasing etc.
It may be rain water runs down in to it causing failure, but not over engineered anyway.:)
It’s definitely got a crunchy sound before it makes the knock. I was looking at the part and I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t corroded. It looks like brake cables so if water has got in there it won’t be pretty. Fortunately with it being so cold I’ll not be opening a window for a while 🤣 Once I’ve a slightly milder day I’ll take the panel off and have a proper look 🤞🏻

As with most things on the panda you can make educated guesses

But at the end of the day there’s no substitute for a proper inspection

Fingers crossed it just a clip, grease , sticking in the slide or a bit out of shape.

It’s just annoying having to take it apart before ordering parts

Just been through a similar situation. Coolant coming out behind the timing covers. I nearly just order a water pump. But decided to take the mount and covers off. Which was a good job as it wasn’t the pump

As with most things on the panda you can make educated guesses

But at the end of the day there’s no substitute for a proper inspection

Fingers crossed it just a clip, grease , sticking in the slide or a bit out of shape.

It’s just annoying having to take it apart before ordering parts

Just been through a similar situation. Coolant coming out behind the timing covers. I nearly just order a water pump. But decided to take the mount and covers off. Which was a good job as it wasn’t the pump
Argh I’d have been tempted on the water pump too! It always a toss up with having the part “in case” or doing it twice!

Given the lack of evidence of maintenance over the last few years I’m building a work plan and intending some “preventative” maintenance at the same time. I’ve tried to group jobs into the “while I’ve got that off I’ll do this as well” so was hoping not to have to poke around in the door first as that area was supposed to be ok 🤣

My next job was intended to have been the auxiliary belt, had got ready to do it a few weeks back then with my head in the wheel arch it became clear that the tensioner/bearing need to be done. So everything back on and I’ll do that when it turns up 🤦🏼‍♂️.

Most of the stuff I’m having to do seems to have been from it having very little use/maintenance for a while or undoing poor repairs 😬

Just hoping the MOT in a few weeks doesn’t find something I’ve missed 🤞🏻

para los que necesitan los clips eto son las referencias 71741287 71744327
clip.jpg

Back