Technical Drivers Side Window

Currently reading:
Technical Drivers Side Window

psychofox

Legend
Window button

Hi guys,
Another day, another issue. Hopefully this is an easy one :)

Drivers side window open/close button doesn't work, but i can open/close the passenger side. I can see that the button is illuminated so it is getting power. it has also pushed through its case (if that makes sense, please see pics). I can push it back into the holding clips, but when you press the button, you push back out.
It does seen to randomly work every like one in a hundred attempts (each time giving me false hope that the damn thing is fixed).

What part do I need to get to make the button stay up, and does this issue sound more like the actual mechanism in the door not working rather than the button? if so, what is that called so I can get it replaced.

Thank in advance for help.

Attachments

• 20161214_184251.jpg
    20161214_184251.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 88
  • 20161214_184327.jpg
    20161214_184327.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 20161214_184334.jpg
    20161214_184334.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 32
Re: Window button

well it could be the switch itself thats just not working properly - had the same thing on a cento window switch which turned out to be the earth wire on the switch was temperamental. The light is usually separate circuit so it comes on when you turn the headlights on or just with ignition, can't remember which in the punto but it will be separate from the switching circuit so just because it lights up doesn't mean the switch itself is powered.

First thing i would try is pull the plug out of both switches and plug the one thats currently the drivers side and plug that into the passenger side wiring plug. If the passenger window still operates normally then the switch is working as it should. Clearly if it doesn't work the switch is most likely the problem but to check you can use the passenger switch on the drivers side, we know that switch works so if the drivers side window still doesn't work then the issue is not a switching issue.

Thats the best thing to start with anyway. I don't have the wiring diagrams to hand but i can explain a few more tests if swapping the switch shows both switches to be working properly, i think my mk1 manual with said diagrams I left at my mums house and I am visiting 2moro and will try remember to grab it. but from memory there is a switch live that comes on with ignition and 2 other wires that go to relays so when you press the switch it closes the circuit that clicks a relay which then sends power to the motor - if the relays are marked on the cover or something you can try swapping them around to see if its a faulty relay. After that if its still not working then really we are into the realms of getting involved with a multimeter, i think as it works once in a blue moon I think its enough to mostly rule out the motor itself and if its not a faulty switch or relay its going to be a poor connection somewhere you will need to track down with a meter but having the wiring diagram so you know wire colours etc is invaluable at that point.

Switch falling out the holder wise, hard to say without a good look but a plastic clip must've bent or snapped or something - it may or may not be possible to repair or bodge back together. If you try find replacement you need to work out if its a tab on the switch or the little holder thats broken/bent.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

well it could be the switch itself thats just not working properly - had the same thing on a cento window switch which turned out to be the earth wire on the switch was temperamental. The light is usually separate circuit so it comes on when you turn the headlights on or just with ignition, can't remember which in the punto but it will be separate from the switching circuit so just because it lights up doesn't mean the switch itself is powered.

First thing i would try is pull the plug out of both switches and plug the one thats currently the drivers side and plug that into the passenger side wiring plug. If the passenger window still operates normally then the switch is working as it should. Clearly if it doesn't work the switch is most likely the problem but to check you can use the passenger switch on the drivers side, we know that switch works so if the drivers side window still doesn't work then the issue is not a switching issue.

Thats the best thing to start with anyway. I don't have the wiring diagrams to hand but i can explain a few more tests if swapping the switch shows both switches to be working properly, i think my mk1 manual with said diagrams I left at my mums house and I am visiting 2moro and will try remember to grab it. but from memory there is a switch live that comes on with ignition and 2 other wires that go to relays so when you press the switch it closes the circuit that clicks a relay which then sends power to the motor - if the relays are marked on the cover or something you can try swapping them around to see if its a faulty relay. After that if its still not working then really we are into the realms of getting involved with a multimeter, i think as it works once in a blue moon I think its enough to mostly rule out the motor itself and if its not a faulty switch or relay its going to be a poor connection somewhere you will need to track down with a meter but having the wiring diagram so you know wire colours etc is invaluable at that point.

Switch falling out the holder wise, hard to say without a good look but a plastic clip must've bent or snapped or something - it may or may not be possible to repair or bodge back together. If you try find replacement you need to work out if its a tab on the switch or the little holder thats broken/bent.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Blu,

Cheers for that. I am going to try to swap them around. Any tips of pulling out the plug without cutting my fingers? Fiat like to push them hard in there.

There is a tab that holds the connector to the switch unit, have a close look and you will see that you have to disengage a small bit of plastic that slides into a slot.

Finally got around to looking at this again. I tried the suggested option of swapping over the connections. One worked, one didn't, so it looks like it is one of the switches that is bust.
I have however ordered the whole unit from Ebay for a tenner :)

Hi all,

So, it turns out that it was more than a button issue :bang:

The mechanism inside the door needs to be replaced (bit that makes the window go up and down).

Can someone tell me what this is called so i can look on eBay, how much should it cost roughly?

Thanks.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back