Technical Dreaded DRL/high beam bulbs not working

Currently reading:
Technical Dreaded DRL/high beam bulbs not working

jaylay

I have searched the forum and notice the DRL's seem to be an issue for lots of people. My issue is slightly different. I got the usual check daylight running lights alert last week and followed the instructions on here to replace the nearside DRL. Unfortunately the new bulb did not work. I have again changed this and the 2nd new bulb also didn't work. I can also see that the high beam bulb is also not working. The original DRL bulb had blown but why don't the replacement's work? Why would the high beam also not work? (Although I must admit I have not removed this to see if it has blown) Could the issue be a fuse? Would a blown fuse effect both bulbs on the near side? off side is all ok. Any help in diagnosing and fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks. How do I check if this is the case? Where does it earth?

To be honest I've no idea - mine's never so much as blown a bulb - but I'm sure one of the experts on here will be able to tell you.

If that was indeed the problem I would expect that the sidelight also would not work (that's the 5W filament in the DRL globe), have you noticed whether it's coming on when the headlights are switched on?

Last edited:
no side lights drl and high beam are not working on the nears side. All ok on the offside.

The DRL on one side of my Wife’s 500 play up occasionally.

On hers it’s the bulb holder that is causing the issue. I guess they go brittle quicker because they are subjected to heat more often than a regular light.

You can’t buy just the bulb holder from Fiat, so I went to Amazon and bought one there. This you will have to splice in yourself. Second option is to take to Auto Electrician and have him do it. Third option is to buy new drl.

First option is fiddly and third would require removing front bumper. First option becomes easier if you remove the bumper.

If you’re not happy removing the bumper or changing bulb holder I would take the car to an Auto Electrician.

First test whether you have power to the plug on the back of the dry when both are supposed to be on, if there’s no power to the plug then it could be a cable issue.

On the new dry bulb it may be worth checking the contacts are spaced correctly try to match those of the bulb holder/plug, sometimes they need a little tweak

Last edited:
Just had the same thing on a 2014 Panda.
No DRLs, neither 5w or 21W side worked, but the bulbs elements looked intact.
There doesn't appear to be a dedicated DRL fuse, so they must work on the headlight fuse, but I still checked out each fuse and all appeared ok.

I then noticed one of the bulbs contact "blobs" on the bottom had burned off and stuck in the bottom of the bulb holder, it must have shorting the contact to earth.

Cleaned both holder out and replaced the manky bulb and they all came back on.

Our other 2012 Panda also has a hole in the contact of one of the DRL's holders.
One of the metal tangs in the bottom is almost burnt away. Buggers aren't avaliable on their own, so I cleaned it up best I could and gently twisted the unburnt end around to make contact with the bulb again.

It's been fine ever since but I expect it to burn again sooner or later.

I’ve fixed it!! After eventually finding my never been used 10 year old multimeter and lots of you tube views on how to use a multi meter I gave it ago this morning. Could that there looked to be no power going to the cluster as expected as both bulbs in the cluster weren’t working. At this point I thought it’s beyond my skill set Before closing everything up I toook the green main feed off the cluster and took a look in there. It had some mud in the fixing so cleaned that out and pushed it back into place. Hey presto bulbs started working. So looks like the green connector wasn’t connected properly. Thank everyone for all your help.

Yes both side clip in covers are present and correct. Not too sure about knowing how to use the multi meter. The only thing I got a reading on was the battery it’s self. ?

Back