Styling Door pods

Currently reading:
Styling Door pods

vc_1985

i want to put bigger speakers in the front of my car and i need to make door pods! has any 1 made any?? cos i really dont no where to start any help would be great thanks

I'm doing the exact same thing, But I'm going to use the exasiting door pockets as the basis of my door pods, and build up behind them with MDF and Fibreglass.

I've not started yet and they are still in the design stage, so I don't have any pictures, they are all in my head ta the moment, but if anyone else had any pics or idea's I'd also like to hear them.

Brian

If you got a pair of door pods from a scrappers and built up the shape you wanted with mdf and fiberglass you could them make moulds with plaster of parris.
Use the moulds to make new pods made from fiberglass sheet. Get them sprayed fit some speakers and ya well away.
Time consuming but a worth while mod i think

I've been pondering this as well, thought of using MDF, the only prblem is trying to get the contour of the inside of the door......probably because I'm a lazy gob****e.
If someone has made some up out of MDF it would be nice to get hold of them and have a gentle word in the shell like of one of the fibreglassing companies I use at work. :cool:

ok ive looked at that link its a bit helpful but i dont understand how he has done it how does he fix it to the door? and how has he coped with the curve in the door?

I gather that he has made a template from the orginal card and made holes to screw it into the original holes.

You can sand and shape MDF to a degree as it's only compressed sawdust.

Not sure of the curved bit though.

Liam

the curved bit was achieved on my pods by using a fleece material, resin and hardner, the fleece can be shaped to any contour of the car body and dry's rock solid too

just do a rough shape with the mdf then bother about the shape of it after

I'm planning on sorting my system out next week, including two 5 1/4" xplod coxial speakers for the front doors.

I want to install them near the top of the door though, not the bottom.

Does anyone know how to take off the front door panels in a Sei? This would make my job a bit easier...

drivefrontcircles2.jpg

blue circles are how the door handle is fixed to the door, these will need to be taken off, use an allen key to take these off

red circles are how the door card is connected to the door, these are red plastic push clips, they will need to be prised out using a flat head screwdriver, or a fork head screwdriver (not sure name)

make sure you do not snap red clips or snap the door card as it is only compressed cardboard

Ah nice one, thanks a lot man.

Where'd you get hold of the MDF circle bit?

draw round the speaker, then draw another circle inside it about an inch in, this will most probably need shaving a bit so the speaker fits in properly

Ok, I had a go today at taking the panel off.

I did the 3 allen keys (and the little poppy thing above em) and took the door handle off, took the wing mirror off (not sure why...), unhooked the window rubbery bit and removed the door lock plastic trim.

But, there appeared to be two catches on either side of the panel that I couldn't detatch... I could see em (they are the ones circled in red on Gaz's pic) but i didn't want to force them.

How do i "prise" them out?

Just in case any of you are interested, here's a little progress report...

I got the panel off ok, and un-glued the material as far enough as I need to so that's all cool.

I've sorted out how to feed the wires through (assuming that I can find them when they come out the other side...)

I've made the support for the speakers, basically a square of MDF a few inches tall. The speaker screws into where the ceiling would be, and the box is to be attatched (glue and screws) to the door panel where the floor would be.

I'm going to shape the install using Gaz's resin/hardener and fleece method.

Hopefully it'll turn out ok.... as long as they don't fall off i'll be happy :)

TheBogieMan said:
I've been pondering this as well, thought of using MDF, the only prblem is trying to get the contour of the inside of the door......probably because I'm a lazy gob****e.
If someone has made some up out of MDF it would be nice to get hold of them and have a gentle word in the shell like of one of the fibreglassing companies I use at work. :cool:

I got twin 6.5" speaker pods in ma Cinq made out of wood - I'll try and get some pics up soon - It can be done (but wasn't by me!) - watch out with wood/mdf tho - it does make the doors pretty heavy on the hinges...
Matt

Back