General don't run over rocks.

Currently reading:
General don't run over rocks.

arc

this is where i stand
:cry:

:(

On the way to meet up with alex, hit a rock on the M40 (in the fast lane going..er.. fast). It bounced under the car, and then i saw something flick up in my rear view mirror. When ever i run over anything on the road i always check and see if it comes out.

Slowed down a bit and noticed the exhaust blowing. So headed on to Tesco, and then had a look under the car expecting to see a hole in the back box or a split pipe or something. Couldnt see anything.

Walked round the back of the car, and saw where my tailpipe used to be..

DSCF0055.JPG

Hmm.. not good, but can carry on driving. Pipe not completely gone, so there should be enough for fumes to exit and not melt anything (oh how wrong i was).

Carried on down to Ace, and checked again. Apron looked out of place, and there was damage to the number plate. I thought it was just where the apron had been pushing on the number plate, and the apron wasn't seating right because the rock had hit it as well.

Drove the 160miles back to Stafford, and then had another look at it...

oh fudge

DSCF0053.JPG

guess it could've been melting the bumper. Its covered in goo (melted bumper) underneath the apron, the bumper is charred, the apron is distorted. The gases have burnt through the bumper underneath, and then exited along the lip on the top of the apron and then burnt my number plate too.

DSCF0054.JPG

I'm not happy :(

So now i need a new bumper, possibly abarth apron, backbox and number plate.

nope :( i was toying with the idea of removing the apron at Ace - but decieded it'd be ok.. wish i had taken it off now. bugger

i'll survey the damage in the morning, take bumper off stylé.

Same thing happened on my 205 GTi, the tail end rusted off, i thought it would be okay and 1/2 my bumper melted including the red reflector. I was amazed that much heat would come out. Everyone should take note.

Damn mate! I half help you fit that as well, it was a arse at the time... Def have to get another, makes the car look so much better... But bye bye pension fund

i've not actually checked the rest of the car yet. Fuel consumption was high, but that was thanks to convoying with a turbo!

just been out and removed the abarth apron. the bumper is shagged. apron might be saveable

DSCF0057.JPG

DSCF0060.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG

I wonder if it's been on fire...

anyone wanna donate me a supersprint backbox? :(

just popped to local exhaust place, he said it can't get any worse so theres no need to bodge a new bit of tailpipe on there. so.. yeah, i'm not. sorry car but i've got no money!

hmmm makes me think i shud buy a car bigger than a rock. looks nasty keep us updated on how much ist costs etc. . . and good luck

OMFG! I even get rocks and stones caught up and I ain't that low, I see them and if I can't avoid them I kinda screw my face up and brace for impact thinking this is going to be fun then BANG! rumble rumble and the offender is usually in two bits and shot out the back.

Underside of mines has a few battle scars but nothing as extreme as this has happened before.

Did your backbox come off altogther then Arc?

Liam

back box is still there, because of the shape of the apron it looks like it was catching the fumes and also keeping the heat on the bumper.

with the apron removed, it shouldnt do anymore damage.. fingers crossed.

Attachments

• DSCF0066.JPG
    DSCF0066.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 19
Back