Dont buy from Longford Car Sales

Currently reading:
Dont buy from Longford Car Sales

discharged_mindriot

heh, ok I got stung.

I bought a '99 S Reg Punto S 1.2 - £900

With a '1 months warranty' - exhaust is pretty fecked & the gearbox/clutch is gone.

Now under trading standards act 1979 - i have the right to a refund, or repair.

The dealer he say no way dude - no warranty!!!!

DO NOT BUY FROM LONGFORD CALES SALES, LONGFORD COVENTRY!!!!!

Was there a signed agreement to the Warranty? Even though a verbal contract should have sufficed...................................

typical a**hole type garage, buy private or get bitten, even cars that are less than 3years old in dealerships can be well dodgy.

their warrenty will probably be really basic anyway, i.e cam bet failure may be covered, as would massive engine implosion etc, not much else I'm afraid.

When you buy goods from a trader, you enter into a legally binding contract governed by the Sale of Goods Act 1979, as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. The law gives buyer and seller rights and responsibilities and applies to the sale of used cars in the same way as to other goods. When you buy from a trader, you have the right to expect the car to be:

* of satisfactory quality;
* fit for its purpose, including any particular purpose made known, and
* as described.

However, it must still be:

* Fit to be used on the road;
* In a condition which reflects its age and price, and
* Reasonably reliable.

When you buy as a consumer from a motor trader, your legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 cannot be taken away or reduced.

So it should be fit to drive basically, and legal on the road. It was described on Autotrader as "looking and driving superb" - their words!!!!

Oh well, I am going to get the work done and go through trading standards to get the money back. Any suggestions on what the fault could be?

It just wouldnt go in gear at a round about! The gear changes are kinda hard, so I am guessing its the clutch - it was ok when I test drove it btw

oh well, what can i say, it cost £200 for the exhaust - Middle Section, Front Pipe, Brackets & Lambda Sensor!!!! Britannia Tyres :-s

Feck!

Oh well, only gearbox/clutch to fix, as basically this puppy is undriveable :'(

Dont want to rub salt in your wounds but it sounds like you paid average price for the car.

My mate just got rid of his missus' Vplate punto 1.2 5 door, v.good condition, just 2 little shopping dings, fsh, every receipt for anything ever spent on it (only thing missing is petrol and im not joking) alloys, met paint and less than 70k on the clock.

Just needed a sump seal or something replacing and that was it.

He sold it for £800.

i feel better now :(

Bugger!!!!!!!

Oh well, I think I do need a clutch - bloody thing. I works for a while, then it wont slot into any gear, unless you double clutch it, press it s few times!!!!! Then slots in but the changes are hard as hell!

PLEASE reassure a ****up, it does sound like the clutch right? I cant be arsed to change a ****ing gearbox as well!!!!

I will just scrap the thing, with its new exhaust Lambda sensor, by driving the FixItAgainTomorrow of a rather large cliff!!!!!

when you say slip, what exactly do you mean?

I can select all gears with car running, and without the car running. Every now and again I simply cannot get a gear at all. Regularly, the gears are extremely hard to get into, in particular the lower gears 3,2 & 1

The clutch is very heavy in comparison to my old Citroen AX, i literally have to push extremely hard, and it makes a creaking noise when halfway depressed until i hit the floor.... i.e. it creaks from halfway down, until it is fully depressed.

Last edited:
discharged_mindriot said:
when you say slip, what exactly do you mean?

I can select all gears with car running, and without the car running. Every now and again I simply cannot get a gear at all. Regularly, the gears are extremely hard to get into, in particular the lower gears 3,2 & 1

The clutch is very heavy in comparison to my old Citroen AX, i literally have to push extremely hard, and it makes a creaking noise when halfway depressed until i hit the floor....

Clutch slip- when you pull off they car over revs for the amount of pull the car is giving, a good test is to try and drive with the handbrake on, if it tries to move the car, or does move the car clutch is ok, if it doesnt its slipping- i think (sorry been up for over 14 hours and been to work so cant concentrate proper)

oh, well no then :p

I have read a few things on the forum here today, and it does sound like the clutch - maybe the drive plate or something. It is getting checked out tomorrow by a family friend who owns his own garage - so its free - compared to FIAT (Research garage) in Nuneaton who tried to charge £35 !!!! con-artists

thats if it makes it again!!!!

in all seriousness matey

I did drive the car - clutch was fine a little on the heavy side, but was fine

The exhaust was not loud or anything. I drove for 5-10 mins, on slow roads, on off ramps for M6.

Was ok..... Then I drove it away, drove for 70 miles to and from work, and voila.

Nevertheless, i should be and am covered by law, and should be safe if the seller had morals.

discharged_mindriot said:
I drove for 5-10 mins, on slow roads, on off ramps for M6.

That is way too short a time for a test drive :eek:

well i dont know.... this is my second car!

Thought i would be ok with a month warranty etc.

Like i said live and learn, and it seems pay as well :p

oh well.

I am trying not to get into a typical FIAT mindset here, the whole FIATs are crap, because I actually like driving mine, if the clutch was sorted. Its nice and roomy, the engine is smooth and its nippy.

just the damn clutch now i think. I am going to make her shine like a bald mans head, and get the rest of the stuff i want to do changed and fixed.

I just hope I can get it all sorted soon, as I have to go see my grandad in cornwall (I am in the west midlands) soon, kinda been putting it off, after my nan died really.

But heh ho.

Back