General Doesn't feel "planted" on the road

Currently reading:
General Doesn't feel "planted" on the road

So I drive half an hour every day on the highway, to and from work.

Something that kinda always annoyed me is that my punto doesn't feel very solid on the road, and actually never has. Lowering and 15" wheels has helped, but still not as much as i orignally hoped.

My mates punto, even though he almost doesn't take care of it in any way have always driven better than mine, and is much more quiet both in terms of tyre and wind noise. His car runs on 15" wheels, but not sporting ones like mine.

I find myself correcting the wheel almost all the time, and the wind doesn't have to blow much, to get it feeling very unstable.

Also turning the steering wheel has always been with much more resistance than i'd liked, both on the motorway and in town, which makes it even more frustrating correcting the steering wheel all the time.

i'm wondering if anything can be done, or is that just the way these cars drive? I'm a little frustrated by it, since Denmark is such a windy country :p

And because i spend minimum one hour commuting each day.

Could it be the bushings? Since the car always had much body roll, and still has now after the lowering and wheels.

I know i should expect the car to be wind sensitive in some way because of the light weight but still.

Looking forward to your responses

Frederik

First thing I'd look at would be tyre pressures. If they are good brand name tyres, look at their website, search for the tyre manufacturer's pressures listing. Often higher than Fiat's recommendation. Go with the higher pressure.

Next, has the front wheel alignment been set properly? Tyre wear may help diagnose. Incorrect setting can make steering heavy, and with the front wheels not working as a team, they are always fighting.

Cheap tyres can alter the feel of any car. Experienced a Corsa with new cheap tyres that caused me to check the pressures three times in as many miles.

Check all suspension mountings, front and rear, and the steering rack mountings.

Tyres are Michelin, 1 year old. Pressure 22-23psi, all the time, so no problem there.

It was lowered last summer, with eibach springs and sachs dampers, and new strut mounts. So those should be fine as well. Car was tracked right after, and there is no uneven wear that i've spotted. It doesn't feel like it's pulling to either of the sides, just doesn't feel calm, so to say. Steering rack mountings? Stupid question but where would i find those?, inside or outside?

Thanks for your time mate

Tyres are Michelin, 1 year old. Pressure 22-23psi, all the time, so no problem there.

It was lowered last summer, with eibach springs and sachs dampers, and new strut mounts. So those should be fine as well. Car was tracked right after, and there is no uneven wear that i've spotted. It doesn't feel like it's pulling to either of the sides, just doesn't feel calm, so to say. Steering rack mountings? Stupid question but where would i find those?, inside or outside?

22 - 23 psi IS TOOO LOW

Iirc Fronts are 28psi and rear is 26psi on Steelie (14")

I cant remember if alloys are same
but i use 32psi front - 28-30psi rear for normal day to day driving

If tracking hasn't been checked in a while -i'd advise you get it done

Ziggy

Steering rack mountings? Stupid question but where would i find those?, inside or outside?

the steering rack is mounted directly to the front subframe., should be fine..

my guess would be the rubber in the front wishbones has perished with age,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-PUNT...:Punto&hash=item45fecb8836:g:rSMAAOSwBP9UYOhQ

and is letting the whole front suspension and steering wander / flex a little.

I had this on my panda - it WAS SCARY..:yuck:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back