Technical does this sound like the axle to you?

Currently reading:
Technical does this sound like the axle to you?

jamie03

some of you guys may remember when had a problem with my exhaust, and I said I thought it was hitting the axle, well car hasn't stopped making the noises, even had 3 exhaust centres look at it!!! Got the mechanic at work to listen to it yesterday, and he said it's the rear axle, or what he actually said was it's probably the axle, only makes the noise when the cars full, or going up hills when full its worse, basically it only does it when there's peple in the car, or whe I try and take away quick when im in it myself. Any of you know if this is a common problem, or what it sounds like it could be, it's a creaking nise realy but it's really annoying!!! any help would be great, I would try and have a go at fixing it myself but I dont know whats wrong. thanks again guys

but surely if i needed new shocks there wouldnt be such a loud creaking wen im pulling away, and i cheack the shocks regularly it aint them m8, thnx anyway(y)

is it a mk2 punto ?? if it is then its the zaust rubbing on the axle very common problem or are you saying that it carnt be that ??? cause what you descirbe are the exact classic symptons of this problem were the rear box rubs on axle. if it does it enogh you will actually be able to see marks on t he axle. you shold be able to get ytour hand inbetween the zaust box and the axle.

in theory just need to loosen zaust and then move it towards rear of car a bit. How ever i had a zaust that done it got it adjusted and was fine but then it had to be removed to have some work done and when it was put back never managed to get it on in just the right place it allways made thatnoise or hit the rear bumber when moved to far back so i had to get a new zaust. wierd.

Last edited:
the mechanic at work moved the exhaust before, i dont know how to do it is it a simply job, if you can tell me how to do it i will try it myself. thanks for the help(y)

aslong as you can get under the car its a matter of loosening 2 bolts that join rear section of zaust to middle section. giving the rear a lil twist to help it move back and then doing the 2 bolts up. you shouldnt have to move it far. make sure also you dont move it to close to rear bumper or will vibrate on it at idle and drive ya mad lol trust me lol

Does it do it when raining hard? If not, it could be a bush breaking up. have a look also at the top shocker mounts. these can perish and cause the noise also.

Andy.:)

jamie03 said:
some of you guys may remember when had a problem with my exhaust, and I said I thought it was hitting the axle, well car hasn't stopped making the noises, even had 3 exhaust centres look at it!!! Got the mechanic at work to listen to it yesterday, and he said it's the rear axle, or what he actually said was it's probably the axle, only makes the noise when the cars full, or going up hills when full its worse, basically it only does it when there's peple in the car, or whe I try and take away quick when im in it myself. Any of you know if this is a common problem, or what it sounds like it could be, it's a creaking nise realy but it's really annoying!!! any help would be great, I would try and have a go at fixing it myself but I dont know whats wrong. thanks again guys

I have sumthin like the same problem sept its aloud bangin poppin noise from the left wheel but sounds like its cumin from under the car at the rear but sure its from the rear left wheel when the car is full when theres only me and sumone in the car it will only happen on sharp left corners when i have a full load it will happen constant ive checked my back exhaust shaked it but it wouldint budge its solid sumone on here is 90% sure its the trailing arms?

sounds similar to my Mk2, got it sorted out though. moved the exhaust away from the rear axle cos it was too close and also the baffles in the rear of the exhaust were knackered equalling new exhaust.

Back