Does choclate go off?

Currently reading:
Does choclate go off?

ive found some choclate in a draw that has ben there for quite a while :D which is good, as im starving :cry:

but there are no dates where it should display the B.B.E :confused: just a lotta giberish numbers

also, i got some kit kats, and they HAVE got dates but theyre "technically" past there best before end :( would they be safe to eat, or would they be okay? :chin:

As far as I know it doesn't "go off" it just reaches a point where it doesn't taste as nice and develops like a white powder on the surface. I can remember my dad finding an old mars bar in one of his army packs when I was young which was about 4 yrs old he still ate it :D just looked white.

right, the kit kats taste a bit wrong, but were alright enough to eat

the caburys dairymilk have gone a bit brittle, and taste a bit stale :chin:

the caramels are okay, only slightly brittle :D the caramel musta kept it moist (y)

If the chocolate is dark or milk then don't eat if its white. Also the fillings go off sometimes. But other than that go for it, its like wine, more fermentation = more shwoosh effect.

Also don't worry about "eyeotates", they are organic :D

It being white is fine! Chocolate doesn't really go off. The white is called blooming, caused by the sugars crystallising, nothing to worry about, just won't taste as good as you would hope.

No just blind, oh and it causes impotency, or was that incompetency? Ahh i can't remember, maybe this is why I failed my medicine degree?

serin said:
ive found some choclate in a draw that has ben there for quite a while :D which is good, as im starving :cry:

but there are no dates where it should display the B.B.E :confused: just a lotta giberish numbers

also, i got some kit kats, and they HAVE got dates but theyre "technically" past there best before end :( would they be safe to eat, or would they be okay? :chin:

arent they the same question? lol

Maybe his mind was already going mushy (the symptons of eating out of date chocolate) because he had had a bite!

Probably the smell....sorry i should have mentioned that. If your face doesn't shrink to 20 % of its original size in the next 15 minutes you're probably going to die.

The Negotiator said:
It being white is fine! Chocolate doesn't really go off. The white is called blooming, caused by the sugars crystallising, nothing to worry about, just won't taste as good as you would hope.

Blooming occurs in two forms: cocoa butter bloom and sugar bloom. Both occur when chocolate has been subjected to impoper storage.

Chocolate is an interesting substance and behaves very similarly to other tempered products, such as steel, due to the nature of the crystallization. When melted, the crystals needs to be re-formed in a controlled manner to achieve a stronger structure and prettier appearance. Fat bloom occurs when the temperature is too warm, which thereby causes the chocolate to melt...cocoa butter and all. This uncontrolled melting destroys the bonds held by the crystals, and when the resulting mass is cooled again in an uncontrolled manner, the cocoa butter, cocoa liquor, sugar, etc. will re-form unevenly and cause those white streaks and swirls. This is why tempering is so important. Chocolate suffering from fat bloom is still edible and suffer no loss in flavor. It simply needs to be tempered.

Sugar bloom occurs when moisture condenses on the chocolate's surface and evaporates, which thereby leaves the sugar scattered on the chocolate's surface, which is visible in those gray patches. Chocolate absorbs moisture from the air, especially if the moisture content is above 85%. So the ambient room temperature needs to be below 68 F with little moisture, preferably below 50%. Chocolate suffering from sugar bloom, however, can tend to be grainy and a little dry.

Back