Dodgy Windows Vista?

Currently reading:
Dodgy Windows Vista?

I've been given a Laptop to repair and so far Windows Vista has pissed me off quite a bit and I've only been using it 20 minutes.

1: when I start up the laptop I choose a user to log in as and I'm immidiately prompted with windows activation.

I can:

a: use an automated phone service
b: Access the computer with reduced functionality
c: type in a different key

When I select 'b' all I got was Firefox. No Start Menu, No Control Panel No Nothing.

The network was not set up so I had no internet so I could'nt even buy a product key if I wanted to.

With much tinkering I managed to open Internet Explorer (Way Hey!!) and get the control panel and Network Management screens open. I changed the netwrok settings and now have internet.

I typed in the product code for the Vista that is on the bottom of the laptop and it says its not valid for activation and that I need to use an automated phone service OR use method 'b' above which I have already done and I do not intend to buy a key for one that should work.

What to do?

Laptop has a Windows Vista Basic sticker on it.

Apparently this is the problem with the laptop. Once I can restore full functionality its fixed.

Last edited:
My gf's laptop came with Vista and the only thing I've been able to do for the last 4 months was turn the computer on, log in, fumble around for the next 10 minutes, then turn the stupid thing off in frustration.

Stu I got that program to run in the end.

I get this message as soon as it does:

"Start the activator as to adminsistrator" but the program runs regardless.

I am using an Admin User account, I even right click then press the "Run as Adminsitrator button"

I choose the BIOS version, press on the down arrows and press install Key.......

Nothing Happens. Is this normal behaviour? Am I meant to enter a Key then press Install Key? if so which key do I enter? I tried the real key on the bottom of the laptop but nothing happens.

Security center refused to run so I cannot disable Defender unless someone knows a command I could attempt to enter somewhere to do so.

I get ACCESS DENIED when I try to run security center.

Last edited:
(y) Nice. Thanks again Stu. I would have liked to figure out what caused the problem on the other one. I read on several forums and Tech sites that when certain software is installed on Vista if invalidates itself :confused: seems a bit strange to me but this includes games with "cheat" protection that hook onto certain OS files AKA "Root Kitting" and I asuming its not limited to games but other software that behave in a similar way.

Now I'm off to the Battlefield 2142 for a couple hours, on my Windows XP!.. I wonder if it will run faster in Wondows 98se? :chin:

Back