Technical Do I have the right clutch?

Currently reading:
Technical Do I have the right clutch?

Never heard of any of them down in Devon;)
All old Leeds n Bradford places for anything from nuts n bolts, bearings, gearbox rebuilds, and car parts…GGB being shop4parts that I’ve used, in trade and out, since forever and still close enough for me to go n pick up stuff if I ring them and they’ve got it in stock, always a smiling face!

Yup places like Leeds Gearboxes (as was), bradford nut n bolt, fagleys, LBBC, BMS & BMF and let’s not forget GGB (shop4parts)
A disadvantage for me not living near a city, though I think I have other advantages.
I can see all year round what others pay to see for a couple of weeks at a time, though the earnings are less and the properties are dearer, so it is all swings and roundabouts.
Regarding the wages, around 1980 at time of first divorce one of my sisters suggested moving back to London for work, as although I was a foreman, in London a skilled mechanics wage was approx. 4 times what I was taking home. Though my family had moved down from London in around 1950 I much preferred where I was born down here.
So working on the premise of "poor but happy" I stayed down here and later with my own business many of my customers had migrated from the cities as it no longer felt like where they had grown up sadly.

Last edited:
Lads having great chats😂, so lads il say I’ve already purchased the clutch kit,I’ve it sitting in my room here. Im justing trying to figure out if there actually is 2 options, like does the same fly wheel do both 6 speed and 5 speed, I’ve seen stage 2 upgrade kits state they do both 5 speed and 6 and even the auto boxes. My clutch measures at 215mm and the inner flywheel measures at 221mm so I doubt the 220mm clutch would be compatible. My local motor factors finds theses clutch bits really hard to find on there systems, so I got the parts of mister auto, and there site stats the 215mm Valeo clutch is for both 5 and 6. Very hard to find info on this.

In fairness the place I referred to was used by all the local garages big and small including dealerships when working on non franchise vehicles, whilst there may be the odd "accessory shop " in town few people in the trade would be seen dead in them unless they wanted a seat cover or wing mirror;).
We used to have a company called Edmunds Walker who you went to for everything from gearbox bearings and seals to engine valves, oversize pistons, bearings etc. but sadly no longer around. Thinking about it few garages these days rebuild engines, gearboxes , axles as not economically viable on modern vehicles.
When I wanted a bearing for my old garage compressor I had to go 25 mile out of town to get one over the counter, mind you when rebuilding the Sterndrive on my Volvo Penta for my boat, it had been standing since 1982 and the double UJs has seized, Volvo boat people wanted over £200 each for them but the bearing people matched them up for £7 each, so worth the round trip :)!
They also supplied a SKF rear hub bearing for one of my twin wheel Iveco Dailys for £57 when the Iveco dealer wanted £135 in the same box a few years ago!
Aye, Edmunds Walker, now there's a name that takes me back.

As you say, it's rare these days to find garages doing internal repairs to transmissions and/or engines. Labour costs being what they are it makes it uneconomical, but I think it's also the uncertainty factor of trying to quote a repair cost for something like an engine or tranny. It's often only when you have the whole thing dismantled that the true extent of repairs required becomes apparent and if you've been "silly" enough to give the customer a firm quote before strip down you can really catch a major cold over it. Of course if you go the other way and tell the customer they will have to pay for the strip down costs regardless of whether a repair/rebuild is possible, most will decline. You, as the garage, also have to consider warranty implications. If you carry out the repair and it subsequently fails within the guarantee period it can wipe out days worth of operating profit. So no, much better to either fit a new or bought in reconditioned/rebuilt unit and let the supplier of that unit "carry the can" if it all goes pear shaped

Regards "left wing" options, I'm especially blessed. With the large port of Leith right on my doorstep there are many engineering companies and suppliers to the maritime industry who are very useful to have around. Two I've found particularly useful and helpful are Browns - https://georgebrown.co.uk/ who have a dedicated automotive engineering department and Forth Engineering - https://forth-engineering.com/ Both are very helpful. Browns for stuff like engine overhauls and general machine work and Forth in particular for stuff like ball and roller bearings. In the past they have gone to considerable lengths to search out obscure bearing options for some of the older vehicles and vintage horticultural machines I mess about with.

Lads having great chats😂, so lads il say I’ve already purchased the clutch kit,I’ve it sitting in my room here. Im justing trying to figure out if there actually is 2 options, like does the same fly wheel do both 6 speed and 5 speed, I’ve seen stage 2 upgrade kits state they do both 5 speed and 6 and even the auto boxes. My clutch measures at 215mm and the inner flywheel measures at 221mm so I doubt the 220mm clutch would be compatible. My local motor factors finds theses clutch bits really hard to find on there systems, so I got the parts of mister auto, and there site stats the 215mm Valeo clutch is for both 5 and 6. Very hard to find info on this.
Sorry…threads often get sidetracked

Back