Technical Do I have the right clutch?

Currently reading:
Technical Do I have the right clutch?

Specs43

Well lads,
Doing the clutch, slave cylinder and dmf on my 2008 tjet. Just wanna make sure I have the right parts,
Mines a 5 speed and I’ve noticed there seems to be 2 clutches available, one is 215 mm diameter and one is 220mm. I’m going with a full Valeo kit. Just want to make sure im ordering the right one has anyone any idea? I can provide valeo part numbers if needed. Thanks

Well lads,
Doing the clutch, slave cylinder and dmf on my 2008 tjet. Just wanna make sure I have the right parts,
Mines a 5 speed and I’ve noticed there seems to be 2 clutches available, one is 215 mm diameter and one is 220mm. I’m going with a full Valeo kit. Just want to make sure im ordering the right one has anyone any idea? I can provide valeo part numbers if needed. Thanks
May not be on option, but I always gave the full Reg.No. to my local suppliers and as I was a regular customer, if there was an option they would either deliver both or have both in stock so there was no delay.
Recently a neighbour wanted a clutch for his wife's Seat and the Motor Factor they used said there was only one fitted to that model and with a Dual Mass Flywheel etc. You can guess , all stripped down on a friends borrowed ramp it turned out not to be a DMF type and the clutch was wrong, fortunately another supplier locally who knew there was two options got him out of trouble, a good brand and cheaper!

These days my factor identifies stuff from the reg no. Some time ago this method used to result in wrong parts being sometimes supplied but it's been a number of years since I've had that happen. If it's something more obscure i always supply him with both Reg No and VIN. He pretty much always gets it right then.

Edinburgh Motor Factors, who I dealt with for years and whose owners I knew when they were just counter staff at another factor, always let me take multiple alternative parts, just like you Mike, and return what wasn't needed next day - or whenever - of course then I was buying stuff from them in volume so it was worth their while to keep a smile on my face. However they continued to do that long after I was buying stuff in volume from them as I neared retirement. Now a days, with EMF long gone and as just another occasional buyer, There's no chance of that happy situation with my new supplier. However they are very helpful and go out of their way to oblige, even to the extent of offering loan timing tools if they have them.

These days my factor identifies stuff from the reg no. Some time ago this method used to result in wrong parts being sometimes supplied but it's been a number of years since I've had that happen. If it's something more obscure i always supply him with both Reg No and VIN. He pretty much always gets it right then.

Edinburgh Motor Factors, who I dealt with for years and whose owners I knew when they were just counter staff at another factor, always let me take multiple alternative parts, just like you Mike, and return what wasn't needed next day - or whenever - of course then I was buying stuff from them in volume so it was worth their while to keep a smile on my face. However they continued to do that long after I was buying stuff in volume from them as I neared retirement. Now a days, with EMF long gone and as just another occasional buyer, There's no chance of that happy situation with my new supplier. However they are very helpful and go out of their way to oblige, even to the extent of offering loan timing tools if they have them.
My problem now a days is the staff are often surly and young and when they finally put the part on the counter say "cash or account" thinking "no account just someone off the street".
So when you reply account and probably since before you were born, it doesn't make them any happier!!!;)

My problem now a days is the staff are often surly and young and when they finally put the part on the counter say "cash or account" thinking "no account just someone off the street".
So when you reply account and probably since before you were born, it doesn't make them any happier!!!;)
That's a shame Mike. I've been going to SRS for a fair few years now, since Edinburgh Motor Factors had to close due to my friend's illness - was that 2012/13? I'm not sure. I'd previously shown face at SRS when I maybe needed something urgently and couldn't get across town to EMF - SRS are just "round the corner" for me - so my face was not completely unknown there. Once EMF closed I tried several of the other options in the Edinburgh area but found SRS to be consistently the cheapest. Back in their earliest days you had to watch out for what you were being supplied with but for years that's not been a factor and now they are part of NAPA and seem to stock all the trusted brands. Staff have always been helpful and polite and now I'm a well known face there it's very nice with a bit of banter if they're not too busy. I wouldn't go anywhere else for my "every day" parts.

That's a shame Mike. I've been going to SRS for a fair few years now, since Edinburgh Motor Factors had to close due to my friend's illness - was that 2012/13? I'm not sure. I'd previously shown face at SRS when I maybe needed something urgently and couldn't get across town to EMF - SRS are just "round the corner" for me - so my face was not completely unknown there. Once EMF closed I tried several of the other options in the Edinburgh area but found SRS to be consistently the cheapest. Back in their earliest days you had to watch out for what you were being supplied with but for years that's not been a factor and now they are part of NAPA and seem to stock all the trusted brands. Staff have always been helpful and polite and now I'm a well known face there it's very nice with a bit of banter if they're not too busy. I wouldn't go anywhere else for my "every day" parts.
I think the problem is , I always had my parts delivered and the trade counter in town closed, so the main place was in Torquay, it was just the general attitude that annoyed me.
There is another parts company nearer that I can check the parts online ring the local branch and they will have it on the counter by the time I get there at a fair price, they don't know me and no account with them, they just act professionally!

Well lads,

Hi :)

I would get a few quotes from online sellers

In the UK europarts and GSF often give a Broad range.. but have dimensional info

Shop4parts are far better..and quote FIAT part numbers

So you can crossreference with the Grande info on ePER

By the way..Is this the car youve been chasing issues with for a while??

There is another parts company nearer that I can check the parts online ring the local branch and they will have it on the counter by the time I get there at a fair price, they don't know me and no account with them, they just act professionally!
You can't ask much more than that Mike. It's nice to be somewhere that you're known and that they know you're someone who has some idea what you're talking about though.

You can't ask much more than that Mike. It's nice to be somewhere that you're known and that they know you're someone who has some idea what you're talking about though.
As an apprentice well before computers a good knowledgeable parts department staff were worth their weight in gold.
Often you could pop the old part on the counter, with one look they could quote the part number go out the back and return with it.
We had one lady who had done the job for many years and as well as that she could reline brake shoes, mix you the correct paint match for a car, plus call a spade an eff**g shovel, so though not PC still very valuable! ;)

Hi :)

I would get a few quotes from online sellers

In the UK europarts and GSF often give a Broad range.. but have dimensional info

Shop4parts are far better..and quote FIAT part numbers

So you can crossreference with the Grande info on ePER

By the way..Is this the car youve been chasing issues with for a while??
Our local (SAS) have been swallowed up by GSF…I’ve yet to use them but hope they don’t go the way of past GSF, ‘Pages, or Euro who are relatively new to supplying Fiat bits wehn compared to the others (I mean relatively as in they were bloody useless at anything not German, british >erm struggling to name any British stuff now<, Japanese or Ford)

As an apprentice well before computers a good knowledgeable parts department staff were worth their weight in gold.
Often you could pop the old part on the counter, with one look they could quote the part number go out the back and return with it.
We had one lady who had done the job for many years and as well as that she could reline brake shoes, mix you the correct paint match for a car, plus call a spade an eff**g shovel, so though not PC still very valuable! ;)
Can’t beat product knowledge, esp wehn it’s practical product knowledge, not just knowing a part by looking at it, but also knowing where it goes, how it works and how much of a pain it is to fit

Our local (SAS) have been swallowed up by GSF…I’ve yet to use them but hope they don’t go the way of past GSF, ‘Pages, or Euro who are relatively new to supplying Fiat bits wehn compared to the others (I mean relatively as in they were bloody useless at anything not German, british >erm struggling to name any British stuff now<, Japanese or Ford)
The one I was referring to was run by an old man called Sid Tailor ? and his wife along with Doreen the lady I referred too, they retired and sold to a guy who massively expanded it as AutoQuip, until now it is part of the Mill Group I think.

Sounds like my kinda woman!

The one I was referring to was run by an old man called Sid Tailor ? and his wife along with Doreen the lady I referred too, they retired and sold to a guy who massively expanded it as AutoQuip, until now it is part of the Mill Group I think.
Seems to be a lot of the "wee men" getting swallowed up by the big groups these days, not at all what it used to be like.

Yup, and they ‘rationalise’ their carried stock, so anything other than oil, filters, pads and wd40 has to be ordered in
Problem is they try to beat online prices by selling cheaper cr*p.
Whenever I was ordering parts for my customers from the factors, if there was a choice I would say quality rather than cr*p please, as I knew my customers wanted reliability foremost.

Problem is they try to beat online prices by selling cheaper cr*p.
Whenever I was ordering parts for my customers from the factors, if there was a choice I would say quality rather than cr*p please, as I knew my customers wanted reliability foremost.
I think what you say here is true of the old type "accessory shop" type establishment. I feel sorry for them as it's very hard to compete with on line prices. Not so true of Trade Motor Factors, at least not around here. SRS, Dingbro, Pentland Components and, to a lesser degree around here anyway, ECP. All suppliers of good quality brands - Mahle, Bosch, GKN, Ferodo, etc, etc. and often as close to special on line prices as makes no difference - especially when you take into account the convenience of a local provider, which i value greatly.

I think what you say here is true of the old type "accessory shop" type establishment. I feel sorry for them as it's very hard to compete with on line prices. Not so true of Trade Motor Factors, at least not around here. SRS, Dingbro, Pentland Components and, to a lesser degree around here anyway, ECP. All suppliers of good quality brands - Mahle, Bosch, GKN, Ferodo, etc, etc. and often as close to special on line prices as makes no difference - especially when you take into account the convenience of a local provider, which i value greatly.
Hang onto those locals, much better ‘personal’ service and knowledge…
I know one of the bigger nationals/big regionals in the early 2000s took over one of the locals and tried to introduce the morning ‘team build’ thing…I used to go in singing the ‘you can’t get better than a kwik fit fitter’, they weren’t impressed but then, it didn’t last long.

In fairness the place I referred to was used by all the local garages big and small including dealerships when working on non franchise vehicles, whilst there may be the odd "accessory shop " in town few people in the trade would be seen dead in them unless they wanted a seat cover or wing mirror;).
We used to have a company called Edmunds Walker who you went to for everything from gearbox bearings and seals to engine valves, oversize pistons, bearings etc. but sadly no longer around. Thinking about it few garages these days rebuild engines, gearboxes , axles as not economically viable on modern vehicles.
When I wanted a bearing for my old garage compressor I had to go 25 mile out of town to get one over the counter, mind you when rebuilding the Sterndrive on my Volvo Penta for my boat, it had been standing since 1982 and the double UJs has seized, Volvo boat people wanted over £200 each for them but the bearing people matched them up for £7 each, so worth the round trip :)!
They also supplied a SKF rear hub bearing for one of my twin wheel Iveco Dailys for £57 when the Iveco dealer wanted £135 in the same box a few years ago!

Last edited:
In fairness the place I referred to was used by all the local garages big and small including dealerships when working on non franchise vehicles, whilst there may be the odd "accessory shop " in town few people in the trade would be seen dead in them unless they wanted a seat cover or wing mirror;).
We used to have a company called Edmunds Walker who you went to for everything from gearbox bearings and seals to engine valves, oversize pistons, bearings etc. but sadly no longer around. Thinking about it few garages these days rebuild engines, gearboxes , axles as not economically viable on modern vehicles.
When I wanted a bearing for my old garage compressor I had to go 25 mile out of town to get one over the counter, mind you when rebuilding the Sterndrive on my Volvo Penta for my boat, it had been standing since 1982 and the double UJs has seized, Volvo boat people wanted over £200 each for them but the bearing people matched them up for £7 each, so worth the round trip :)!
They also supplied a SKF rear hub bearing for one of my twin wheel Iveco Dailys for £57 when the Iveco dealer wanted £135 in the same box a few years ago!
Yup places like Leeds Gearboxes (as was), bradford nut n bolt, fagleys, LBBC, BMS & BMF and let’s not forget GGB (shop4parts)

Back