General DJ Bucho is back

Currently reading:
General DJ Bucho is back

DJ_Bucho

Established member
Yes believe it or not it is me, DJ Búchó is back on the Forum.

I'll be the first to admit you lot have heard very little from me over the past month or so (some say that’s not necessarily a bad thing) but its all about to change, (no need to sigh, its not all bad news. . . . honest).

I know what many of you are thinking. Where on earth have I been and what have I been up to?

Well I’ve had loads of University work to do and I mean loads, including my dissertation as well as about three other large assignments, (but you don’t want to hear about that), you want to know what I’ve done to my car, don’t you? Oh course you do.

Well if you’re sitting comfortably then let me begin.

Both my dad (Julio Scorchio) and myself took the first week in Easter off work, so that we could have a full week working on my car and get what I wanted to do done.

It all began taking off the rear wheels and then dismantling the rear brakes.
Old Drum.jpg

My old rear brakes looking a little worse for wear in this pic, and not very attractive at all.

Once the rear drum was off and the shoes out, the rear shock was taken off, the spring removed, as well as the bump stop and the hand brake cable disconnected and taken off. Pictures of this stage can be seen below.
Old Radius Arm.jpg

Old Radius Arm2.jpg

The brake pipe was then disconnected and the fluid drained out of the system. The bolts that hold on the radius arms were then disconnected and the radius arm was removed. Picture shown below.
Old Radius Arm Off.jpg

The radius arms were then completely stripped of all their parts, the old bushes were then burnt out and the metal inserts cut out of the arm with a hacksaw. These were then taken to our local powder coating place (Stella Blast - the young lad Dave is a great fella) and he powder coated both of them gloss black for the grand sum of £40 (Bargain).
While this was being done, new EBC shoes and drums were purchased as well as new back plates, cylinders, springs and clips. These were assembled off the radius arms. Pictures shown below.
Rear Brakes.jpg

At the same time as ordering the new rear drums and shoes some Powerflex suspension bushes were purchased. I ordered the full set of Powerflex, four for the rear and two sets of two for the front. The rear bushes can be seen below.
Rear Bushes.jpg

At the same time as dropping off the rear radius arms for powder coating, my dad and I went to RRE (Red Rose Engineering in Gateshead) and got them to make up some custom made rear springs 20% stiffer than the PI springs I did have on. (this extra stiffness should mean my arches wouldn’t rub anymore, as they did when the standard PI springs were in place). The springs that were made can be seen below.
Custom Rear Spring.jpg

Having got the springs and radius arms back the springs were sprayed gloss black just like the radius arms so that everything should look nice underneath the car (what can I say I’m a perfectionist). Picture shown below.
Sprayed Rear Springs.jpg

The bushes were then pressed into the rear radius arms and the assembled back plates were then bolted on. Copper brake pipe was then used to construct new piping to the flexy hoses, which were thrown away and replaced with Goodridge Stainless Steel braided ones. Pictures can be found below.
Completed Rear Radius Arm.jpg

Once all of this was done they were bolted back onto the car and the brake hoses connected back up. As can be seen below.
Radius Arm On.jpg

Once in place the bump stop was replaced, the new springs were put in and the new Bilstein shock was bolted out. The finished rear end can be seen below.
Radius Arm Fully On.jpg

The new rear drums were then taken to a friend who took 3.5mm off the outside face of the drum so that my wheel would sit slightly further inside my arch and should give me slightly more clearance between the tyre and the arch. Finally the last thing to do was to paint the rear drums red. The finished article can be seen below, with and without the alloy on.
Painted Rear Drum.jpg

Rear Completed.jpg

Ok so that’s the rear done, but unfortunately while we were doing to front we didn’t take many pictures at all. But this is what we did anyway.

Basically, the front strut was removed and dismantled, and then reassembled with the new Bilstein shock. The front discs were removed along with the callipers and flexible brake hoses.

The front wishbone was removed and the bushes burnt out, just like they were with the rear radius arms. These were cleaned up and the Powerflex bushes were then put in place.

The Goodridge Stainless Steel braided brake hoses were then connected. The EBC Punto GT grooved and spotted discs were then bolted on, along with Punto GT callipers running EBC Green stuff pads. The callipers like the rear drums were painted red, and where then bolted on, and connected up to the new brake hoses. The strut was then bolted back in and the brakes were bled. Pictures of the discs can be seen below.
Front Discs On.jpg

Top Stopage.jpg

The wheels were bolted back on and the jobs a good un.

Pictures of the front discs behind the alloys can be seen below.
Front Completed.jpg

Front Disc.jpg

You will have to excuse the dirty-ness of my alloys but I didn’t have time to clean them as it was very dark when we finally got finished.

All in all it took a full weeks work, although we did have to wait for springs to be made, and radius arms to be powder coated.

I hope I haven’t bored to many people with my MASSIVE post. But I thought I’d let you lot know what has been going on.

Let me know what you think.
Look forward to hearing from you lot.

Brian

Ask any racer, any real racer, it don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning!

Thanks mate. It did cost a bit and took ages to finally get all the bits I bought fitted, but I think its worth it in the end.
I just need to sort out the exterior and the power now:D

More to come, mark my words:)

Brian

Ask any racer, any real racer, it don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning!

im planing on doing almost the same. My rear passenger side drum has seized lol so it needs sorting and they need new shoes anyway so i could just go the full way and buy new ones. would look nice anyway. Also i was gonna pain the lot red aswell like i had on my uno. Looks great on a black car. You should have done it yellow ;)

looks great tho! How hard was it to change the bushes as I need to sort mine too.

I Have A Cinq Sporting...

...Click Here To Look At It

Apologies for thread hijack, but how much the springs cost yu?

Tom (AofB)

Rattly GrpN, 1242cc Hunting.....delock as soon as!

Punto GT callipers and discs are a sraight bolt on job, but can only be fitted with wheels 14 inch or bigger. They will not fit under 13s at all.

Cheers

D

Grumpy old git going fast downhill rather than downhill fast!!

I have fitted Uno turbo vented discs and calipers to mine and they fit under 13's. Its not a straight swap, the spacer normally fitted to the outside face of the disc needs to be machined down in diameter to fit inside the Uno disc, these leaves the wheel in the right position and moves the disc face in abit. You then need to space the caliper mount a wee bit to line it up with the disc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

D

Grumpy old git going fast downhill rather than downhill fast!!

The Punto GT Discs and callipers bolt straight on, but like 'Rallycinq' said you do need to have 14" alloys or bigger. And like me you have to be careful where abouts the weights for balancing the wheels are. As if some of them are put onto of each other you have to take them off and place them side by side.

Yes I do still have my standard Cinq springs, and yes if anyone does what them they are for sale, (a full set of springs), good condition, nothing wrong with them I can get pics if people want.

I've got a set of rear PI lowering springs, surposidley 40mm drop but more like 55-60mm, if anyone whats them?

I've also got a full set of standard Cinq shocks for sale, I can take pics of these as well if people want but it will probably have to be at the weekend as I am busy with Uni work at the moment.

Let me know if any of you are interested in any of the bits, I'm open to offers for all the parts, highest bid wins obviously.

Thanks for your comments.

Brian

Originally posted by DJ_Bucho
The bushes were then pressed into the rear radius arms and the assembled back plates were then bolted on. Copper brake pipe was then used to construct new piping to the flexy hoses, which were thrown away and replaced with Goodridge Stainless Steel braided ones.

As an added note: The braided hoses have a hexagonal fitting on the ends which clips into the brackets on the Cinq Radius arms. It seems there are two sizes of Hexagon, 17mm and 19mm. The Cinq brackets are manufactured to take 17mm hexagons - Brian's hoses were 19mm - so every single bracket had to be painstakingly filed out to fit the hose exactly. That makes (I think) around 36 faces to file back 1mm each. As you can imagine with Brian, this was not a 5 minute job, but they were absolutely perfect when he'd finished.

Tosh

**Men don't stop playing because they grow old; they grow old because they stop playing.**

Well Brian,

A John Travolta like come back my friend! The sort of work I would like to carry out if |I had a second car, well documented and with the mods you have already done a very nice Cinq too!

I've got Tarox discs and pads living behind my standard 13's and they're much better than standard so the ones you have should be ace!

For a while there I thought you had sold up!

Keep it coming

Liam

DJ; nice work :)

However, looking at the second picture at least, it appears like you have a lot of surface (or more) corrosion, maybe look at getting it waxoiled/doing it yourself? MIght regret it otherwise in the longterm because it does its job fairly well.

Paul

----------
Uno 1.0ie Start. Standard.
Uno_sign.jpg

'pghstochaj' the rust is luckly mainly on the rear cross member, and I spent ages cleaning it all up and then painting it with underseal.

But your right I'm lookinginto getting it professionally undersealed, as I don't think you can compramise on the underside of your car, as after all if that goes, then you don't have a car at all :(.

Does anybody know of any places in the NorthEast arround the Sunderland/Durham area that will underseal my car professionally?

Any help would be usefull.

Thanks for your comments.

Brian

thats a really nice job. how much did the coating everything cost and how much where your gt calipers and disks? where did you get the calipers from?

Little Red Devil (L.R.D). Huge ice on its way. Not too far off 1242cc conversion. Still need a rear bumper. "its proper bo i tell thee!"

Hmmm Punto GT disks looks like a rout i could take then. Just one drawback, what happens when you want to put the spare wheel on?

GeX
"Women are hurt by the smallest things, like papercuts and... childbirth!"

Ok my EBC Punto GT Discs and green stuff pads cost me £160 from Demon Tweeks at the autosports show, but I got show discount so I don't know how much they will be.

I got my Punto GT callipers from a chap that was braking one on Ebay and I think I got the pair for about £40 as far as I can remember.

I bought complete new seals for them from Fiat and that set me back about £40 so in total I think I've spend about £240 on the front brakes.

The powder coating of the rear radius arms cost me £20 a side, so £40 for the two rears. I painted my springs in standard car spray paint and that was only £5.

If I do get a punchure thehn I will have to jack up the rear of the car, and put the spare on there, then jack up the front of the car and put the good rear wheel on and the punchured wheel in the boot. OK so it might take me a little while but thats the price I am prepaired to pay for MASSIVE brakes:D

I hope that answers all your questions.

Brian

Back