Technical .::DIY::. Rubber seals

Currently reading:
Technical .::DIY::. Rubber seals

sjladopoulos

Son of the Propeller.
Dear all,
I have decided not to pay FIAT for new seals all around the roof and hard top so today I m going to the hardware store to get:
1) Acrylic sealer
2) Expanding Foam
3) Flexible Rubber Stripes

The plan is to use the expanding foam to fill the hole inside the rubbers to bring them back to the original volume and stretch. Then I will use the acrylic sealer to close any gaps ( I ll make something like a drainner ). Finally I will cut and stick two rubber stripes on the hardtop edge to force the water in front of the window and not behind it:bang:

I ll take pics of the final result and I will ask around for any better ways or tools to do this job. Please feel free to say "this is wrong, do that.." before I do anything stupid :D

I just hope I explained what I m planning to do well enough..:eek:

er.. this expanding foam... if applied unevenly, will it not expand unevenly?
so you end up with uneven and HARDENED rubbers?

i've got some recollection of being unable to open a door after applying (too much) foam around the encasement :eek:

or is this not the same kind of foam? I'm just trying to envisage the workings...

anyways, good luck and show us the pics :)

At the moment I can only guess that the secret is minimum amount of "prosthetics" and very careful and smooth appliance.
I ll let you know soon :D

Stavros,

Good luck but a quick word from someone who has (a few times in the past), rushed into a good idea and managed to cost themselves a LOT of money..........

In principal it sounds like a good idea, before you ruin a rubber seal see if you can find a similar profile of rubber and try it..............I have a horrid feeling that this could end in tears!!!

Either way good luck and let us know how you get on!

OK guys, here is a pic of the supplies..

1) big tubes are expanding foam
2) super glue (you never know when you need it)
3) Black non toxic silicon for car and boat (see, its specially made for the B!)
4) a nice razor for cutting off edges
5) sand paper
6) putty and hardener for fixing a small dent on the side spoiler
7) bicycle tubes to be cut to make custom rubber add ons
8) some spatulas for general use again
9) on the left the mag LittleRedB sent me!!! (y)

More details when I get started!

PS: Doc, if I manage to make a mess then I will pay FIAT.. nothing to lose here the way I see it :)

Attachments

• DSC00670.JPG
    DSC00670.JPG
    704.6 KB · Views: 36
Hehehe

I dont know how many of you noticed the lighter in the middle!
Its to burn the f*****g thing if things go wrong! LOL

OK guys, here is a pic of the supplies..

1) big tubes are expanding foam
2) super glue (you never know when you need it)
3) Black non toxic silicon for car and boat (see, its specially made for the B!)
4) a nice razor for cutting off edges
5) sand paper
6) putty and hardener for fixing a small dent on the side spoiler
7) bicycle tubes to be cut to make custom rubber add ons
8) some spatulas for general use again
9) on the left the mag LittleRedB sent me!!! (y)

More details when I get started!

PS: Doc, if I manage to make a mess then I will pay FIAT.. nothing to lose here the way I see it :)
I think it wont work.The rubbers will loose their elasticity from the foam and look like wood.Try something that does not loose elasticity,black silicone?
Buy some cheap rubbers and practice on them and not on your B.

That expanding foam is nuts...

I used it to fill dis-used plug sockets in my living room when I decorated. It's not easy to apply that's for sure.

I just went overkill with it and cut the excess with a very sharp craft knife blade, finished with polyfila and it was ok.

And, christ it's toxic! Well ventilated areas and all that!

DJ OD

Back