Technical .::DIY::. Rubber seals

Currently reading:
Technical .::DIY::. Rubber seals

Mornin people from shaky Greece!! :D
I ve done some work trying to reconstruct the hardtop seals last night,
I ll post some pics and details later on. Keep an eye open for em ;)

What you need:

1) black silicon for car/boat use (outdoor - waterproof)
2) Bicycle tube
3) razor
4) super glue

How to do it:
0) Pray to god and swear at FIAT
1) cut a straight stripe 1.5cm wide from the bicycle tube.
2) clean the rubber with alcohol and glue the stripe on the rubber calculating that the window top will sit in the middle if the stripe you glue on.
3) Add silicon at the top and bottom of the stripe and a very thin layer on it.
4) use the razor to remove the useless remainders.

5)Fit to hardtop / soft top.
6)Adjust windows to fit as nice as possible
7) add some more silicon if holes still exist.
8) take some pics and post your pastry!!!(y)

Attachments

• DSC00809.JPG
    DSC00809.JPG
    798.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00810.JPG
    DSC00810.JPG
    788.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00811.JPG
    DSC00811.JPG
    869.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00812.JPG
    DSC00812.JPG
    866.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00813.JPG
    DSC00813.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00814.JPG
    DSC00814.JPG
    795.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00815.JPG
    DSC00815.JPG
    780.9 KB · Views: 33
Hey guys, so can i just confirm, is it ok for me to use super glue to stick a seal back on my hard top?? Or do I need something special? It is coming off towards the bottom and i've had to bail out the boat a couple of times now! My matts are drying out in the living room right now.... I need a garage.
Shel

Hey guys, so can i just confirm, is it ok for me to use super glue to stick a seal back on my hard top?? Or do I need something special? It is coming off towards the bottom and i've had to bail out the boat a couple of times now! My matts are drying out in the living room right now.... I need a garage.
Shel

Can you post a picture just to get straight what you need to fix? Some bits are fine for super-glue others would become brittle and break............

Shel

To glue rubber to metal use gum glue, not super glue!!
I used super glue to stick the bicycle tube to the rubber.

Hi thanks, I think that answers it. It is the rubber seal that goes round the window opening on the hard top. Just at the bottom where it meets the car body it is coming off and sometimes you can shut the door and trap it on the inside without realising, leaving quite a big gap. I've managed to push it back on but it could do with been fixed properly. It is rubber to metal, so I guess it is gum glue. Will any car parts place have this?
Shel

Yep! Ask for it. Let them know where you gonna use it, they might have something better to suggest. Gum glue is black and sticky, but never dries out and never becomes solid. It is like that so you can remove it easily if needed.
Good luck!

Back