Technical Distributor similarities/differences

Currently reading:
Technical Distributor similarities/differences

JumpJet

Established member
So I've implemented a little air dam in the style of Tom (the hobbler) as well as wrapped up my exhaust primaries to aid the heat problems. If this doesn't work, then the Pertronix (hall effect) will get the old heave ho and it's back to points. It gets pretty warm where I live, so I'm prepared for a constant struggle.

That leads me to my question - are the upper portions of the distributors the same throughout the 500/126 range? Obviously the lower halves are different between the two, but are the uppers interchangeable? The reason I ask is that the motor is a 126-based 595, so the dizzy installed now is the original. I have the spare (stamped 110D on the lower half) from my old 110 motor that I've cleaned up and prepped with points. Can I simply swap the upper portion on or will I need to uninstall my Pertronix and put points in that particular distributor? Not a huge issue, but certainly less convenient.

Pictured is the spare's upper half and 110D stamped lower.

Thanks

Attachments

• 49B77F46-0F3F-4B6C-ACC5-BB931DC3C911.jpg
    49B77F46-0F3F-4B6C-ACC5-BB931DC3C911.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 8825CC0F-67E4-42FC-BD14-B3FE4E95F826.jpg
    8825CC0F-67E4-42FC-BD14-B3FE4E95F826.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 26
If I understand it correctly, you need to fit a spacer between the crankcase and the body of the distributor when fitting a 500s distributor to a 126 crankcase. It is not a thick spacer, but if you don't fit it the distributor gear does not mesh correctly with the camshaft gear. There was something about this subject on the Forum some time ago, but I am not clever enough to be able to retrieve it and put it back onto the Forum.

Tom,
Agree that the spacer is necessary for the gear mesh to be correct, but I’m looking at leaving the 126 lower portion in place and swapping the upper portion of the distributor- separated where the timing adjust stud is (in the pics)

Last edited:
Back