Technical Disc wear - 22,000 miles... normal?

Currently reading:
Technical Disc wear - 22,000 miles... normal?

Hi,
Had a new pair of front tyres fitted today at my local place - fascinating being able to watch it all done closely/help out with some bits :)

While the car was up on the lift I had a good look at the brakes and noticed the discs look pretty worn.
Not sure if it's normal but there is [now] a defined lip on the edge of the disc. It looks like the pads have worn the disc and left this lip since they don't contact maybe the last 1mm of the disc diameter.

Effectively the pads seem to be running in a self formed channel - if that makes any sense. I would estimate the depth of the channel to be 0.1mm on the inside of the disc and aroun 0.3-0.5mm on the outside of the disc. It's quite pronounced and feels like a definite ridge when you rub it.

Is this normal wear for 22,000 miles of really pretty gentle driving?

Cheers

Moogs

That's careful driving how you got out that car park at the Yorkshire meet? :p

The important thing is that they're not below the minimum thickness. You should get that checked with a caliper (measuring not brake). You can remove the lip if you're careful with a file however its probably better to leave it then buy some new discs later.

Hi mate the amount of lip you have is not that bad but as Hellcat has said as long as the disk is within specified thickness you should be OK and if you are worried about the lip you can as hellcat also said carfully remove it (y) I did it on a car on monday morning using a rubber arbore in my electric drill with a slightly course sanding disc so if you try it dont go at it like a bull in a china shop take it steady and slowly and it will come up just perfik :D (y)

Cheers guys.
Not so much worried about the lip - it's harmless, but more about the fact that it's showing me just how much the discs have worn in what I class to be a piffling amount of miles given my driving style.

Brakes are, scuse my french, utter pap anyway on my Stilo. Pedal can't decide to be hard or soft and you reall yhave to be fierce - there seems to be loads of travel with resistance making you think you're putting the anchors on harder than reality.

Sounds like something's up with your brakes then Moogs, i find the Stilo brakes nothing short of stunning and have to warn people about how sensitive they are. A pedal that's hard one moment and soft the next isn't right. Time for an investigation

Discs are much softer than they usd to be and wear down much quicker now than they used to do. I've got originals at 40k but the lip is around 1mm now

Last edited:
ive got to say i find the stilo brakes quite good? Although my pads are quite low now? and ive check and my disc's n they are on 27k and still fine so ill just be changing the pads in a few thousand or so miles! Your disk's should last much longer than that... like deck said maybe something else is up :confused:

I don't think there's anything up with the discs. Moogs 0.5mm wear at 20k miles is the same as mine of 1mm at 40k but the pedal pressure should feel firm and consistent and it isn't so it needs investigation in the form of possible brake bleeding- servo problems-vacuum pipe etc-pad wear or contamination

The lip on the disc is normal and the only problem I've found with it is possible brake squeal as the pad just touches the lip

I'm still on original pads at 40k. Must be my driving style:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reading the threads on the stilo about brakes and their performace makes me wonder why there is such a variable in performance from car to car :confused: now Ive been reading articles on what happens to a car when you alter thing from standard spec and a lot of it makes for interesting reading :) for example did you peeps know that just by changing the size of your wheels alters the amount of force needed on the brake pedal to stop you :eek: I will try and find the site address and post it up (y) cos its not just Wheel size/braking pressure it deals with it covers a host of other things to :)

My last car, (Diesel) did 80,000 miles on same pads, wasn't a fiat though. It is all about driving methods and styles. Obviously motorway driving will have a lower wear / distance ratio than driving around town.

Once you start modding things then it affects everything else
Larger wheels = more loads and increased suspension wear, sometimes less grip, etc
Remap=heavier wear on clutch, brakes, transmission, engine wear etc
Lower the front =headlights alignment, stability, grounding etc

Body kit=possible instability at speeds, susceptable to crosswinds
Huge power ICE = load on battery, wiring and alternator

Piggy back connectors= possible overload of wiring and fuses, vehicle fire

Tinted windows= run pedestrians down in the dark:)

There's a reason why whenever a manufacturer's design change is considered then it has to be passed through all departments

Similarly warranty is often void if certain modifications have been done

Last edited:
Ah, I like your last post there deckchair!
All the daft little toots round where I live with their - ebay chips, bodykits, zorts etc. Oh, so you know more about engine management/aerodynamics/airflow than the engineers at vauxhall/citroen etc.

Anywho... yep my brakes have always been a bit parp. My old Baleno GSR would stand on its nose and the back wheels lift off the ground*
*may contain traces of lie

But the Stilo - bit bag of wallowy mushy nonsense. To get it to stop have to stamp hard. The pedal has resistance really early in its travel so makes you think you're putting them on hard but the approach speed of the stationary car in front suggests you're not.

Then next time you put on the brakes there's beyhotch loads of travel before it starts to resist. I just put it down to rubbish engineering but perhaps there's a prob.
Anyone local with a stilo fancy trying mine out?

From your ailments it sounds like bleeding the brakes might be the first and easiest port of call
Words like "mushy" and "beyhotch loads of travel" (what a wonderful blend of lingo) sounds like air in the system

Watch the sequence order for bleeding

Back