General Differences between mk2a and mk2b 3 door tail lights

Currently reading:
General Differences between mk2a and mk2b 3 door tail lights

kido resuri

Hi,

A friend wants to buy "tuning tail lights" for his mk2b 3 door Punto. He couldn't yet find one that he would really buy, but found one that is marked as a tail light for mk2a 3 door only, and the sellers, at least two different person, are stating that it won't fit in a mk2b. I always thought that the tail is a straight swap between mk2a and mk2b.

What is the truth? What are the differences between the back of the 3 door mk2a and mk2b? Could it be possible that the tail lights won't fit?

The rear of the MK2 and 2B are different, the lights will not fit. I also believe that the lights from a 3 door will not fit a 5 door and vice-versa.
Right the rears on a mk2 and mk2b are the same
BUT ONLY IF THE DOOR COUNT IS THE SAME!!

5dr lights are more flat vs 3dr which are pointy
Mk2b has extra reflectors on boot - mk2 dont but these are seperate to the lights anyway

So yes mk2 and mk2b 3dr rear bumoer and lights swap

So yes to.mk2 and mk2b 5door
But not 3dr to 5dr / not to 5dr to 3dr

Ziggy

Right the rears on a mk2 and mk2b are the same
BUT ONLY IF THE DOOR COUNT IS THE SAME!!

5dr lights are more flat vs 3dr which are pointy
Mk2b has extra reflectors on boot - mk2 dont but these are seperate to the lights anyway

So yes mk2 and mk2b 3dr rear bumoer and lights swap

So yes to.mk2 and mk2b 5door
But not 3dr to 5dr / not to 5dr to 3dr

Ziggy

Ahh, thanks for the clarification Ziggy, I could've sworn I'd read on here that the 2 and 2Bs were different. I sit corrected. (y)

Ahh, thanks for the clarification Ziggy, I could've sworn I'd read on here that the 2 and 2Bs were different. I sit corrected. (y)
Only on front

I believe the bumpers do fit
But the shapes on 3dr and 5dr are much different and you get crappy shut lines and big gaps = not good hence they say dont fit

The towbar for a punto tho fits mk2 and mk2b 3dr and 5dr
Just not sporting setups.... weird huh?
(Sport models have a low bumper :( )

Yeah very strange. I've got a MK2b at the moment, my daughters first car was a MK2, the 2B front lights are so much better light quality but I preferred the look of the MK2.
Mk2b are reflector lights (mirrors to point light in right direction

Mk2 were projector (a lens that bent light to produce light pattern)

Mk2 is known for been "poor"
And mk2 do need high quality bulbs to make them okay
Hid's arent suitable for either punto either as there not made for them

Ziggy

Thank you all for the answers! I told my friend that it should be a straight swap.

Back