Technical Difference in FIRE engines how to tell which?

Currently reading:
Technical Difference in FIRE engines how to tell which?

I picked up a few FIRE engines, and i'm struggling to see the dot stamps due to corrosion on the water pump housing. Ive emryed it and you just cant make it out as they shallow stamped it.

Is there any way of telling what they are other than the dot stamps?

codes on the cams? head? eleswhere on the block?

Did you get the inlet manifolds with them? Is there a knock sensor (or place for one to go) on the cam cover? This will be to the left of the oil plug. Is this any fire engine or one from a cento? If it's any then a 1242 will be taller than a 1108, you can see this where the waterpump joins with the block, theres a step on the 1242s.

I just went and had another look (was tired last night when I was looking)

The engines were of supposed punto origin with 2 of them meant to be mpi (why I got them, I took a gamble hoping there would be a 75 in them) (y)

My post was rubbish, lol.

They are all 8v.

All manifolds are missing

engine 1 - i'm pretty sure is a 55 - 1** B2.000 (*= could be 176 not clear assuming it is).

engine 2 - has a 4x4 cam, it has the knock sensor spot on the cam cover has 1.2 stamped on the block, the head is ribbed like the 55 head

engine 3 - has a 4x4 cam, it has the knock sensor spot on the cam cover, has 1.2 stamped on the block, the head is smooth though.

I'm guessing 2 and 3 are 60's then:cry:

The SPIs don't have knock sensors, or maybe the newer ones do but my old Punto 60 didn't have one. 2 and 3 sound like MPIs and should be 75s. On the inlet manifold, the two studs in the middle at the top are higher on the MPIs. On the SPIs these two studs will be lower. Compare that with number 1. Can you get any pics?

The SPIs don't have knock sensors, or maybe the newer ones do but my old Punto 60 didn't have one. 2 and 3 sound like MPIs and should be 75s. On the inlet manifold, the two studs in the middle at the top are higher on the MPIs. On the SPIs these two studs will be lower. Compare that with number 1. Can you get any pics?

I could get pics, but have left my sodding camera somewhere :bang:

The 2 studs on the inlet are higher but this is the same for the std cento head isnt it?

The 75's had 866 cams didnt they? not the 4x4's. It was the cams I was really after when I bought the engines. guess no cam upgrade for me then.

I know the 75s have 866's. Not sure where the 4x4 is used, didn't think it was the 60s though. The phase 2 MPI seicentos have MPI, and their cylinder heads have the higher studs. The cinq and phase 1 seis have SPI and thus lower studs. If it says its a 1.2 on the block and its got an MPI stud pattern on the head, it should be a 75:p

i got my 4x4 cam from a punto 2001 1.2 8v,. 4x4 works very well on the 1.1 but the 866 is better on the 1.2. engines. basically the 4x4 is a milder cam than the 866 on the 1.2 8 v engine
Hope that helps
Ricky

I just went and had another look (was tired last night when I was looking)

The engines were of supposed punto origin with 2 of them meant to be mpi (why I got them, I took a gamble hoping there would be a 75 in them) (y)

My post was rubbish, lol.

They are all 8v.

All manifolds are missing

engine 1 - i'm pretty sure is a 55 - 1** B2.000 (*= could be 176 not clear assuming it is).

engine 2 - has a 4x4 cam, it has the knock sensor spot on the cam cover has 1.2 stamped on the block, the head is ribbed like the 55 head

engine 3 - has a 4x4 cam, it has the knock sensor spot on the cam cover, has 1.2 stamped on the block, the head is smooth though.

I'm guessing 2 and 3 are 60's then:cry:

Ill buy engine 2 or 3 off you!!!!....more 3 than 2(y)

Off topic, but I could swear I know that Blue cinq in your avatar. Its not from Surbiton is it :chin:

Yep thats one of them see here https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/121421-my-cento-story.html

brooky said:
Ill buy engine 2 or 3 off you!!!!....more 3 than 2(y)

I want to check them out first (compression, leakdown etc) I dont want to let a duff engine go, but as per club cento you have first dibs.

whats the difference between the smooth head and the ribbed one then (ooh err)

So do people think they are 75's even though they came with the 4x4 cams? I'll try and get pics soon, but cant get to them till the weekend again.

A bit OT, but you don't have a knock sensor on the cam cover, the knock sensor is on the back of the block, between the two middle cylinders, between the alternator and starter.

The sensor that can be found in the cam cover, oil filler end, will be a cam timing sensor...it reads the cam pulley pattern....this is missing on all spi, and some mpi. On the 16v is in the cam housing and directly reads the cam itself.

Have you tried spraying with some paint or dye? Also, shining a torch directly across the stamp, helps a lot!

Mine was heavily corroded, but after an hour or so i could read it (y) You will also need the eingine number for the V5 which is on the same place.

Kristian

are these the 3 that was on ebay for ages?

yea, the price kept dropping, I rang the guy and he couldn't find the engine code he said that 2 of them were mpi, and are 1.2 so I bought them taking a gamble hoping they would be 75's for the 866 cam, but alas, only 4x4 cams.

Although he thought one of them had big end failure, from what i've seen and rotated them, its not true, one of them seems down on compression though. I can definitely get a decent engine from them, I only wanted the cams anyway.

A bit OT, but you don't have a knock sensor on the cam cover, the knock sensor is on the back of the block, between the two middle cylinders, between the alternator and starter.

The sensor that can be found in the cam cover, oil filler end, will be a cam timing sensor...it reads the cam pulley pattern....this is missing on all spi, and some mpi. On the 16v is in the cam housing and directly reads the cam itself.

Thats the puppy. Theres a hole next to the filler cap over the pulley there, thought its an odd place for a knock sensor.

kritip said:
Have you tried spraying with some paint or dye? Also, shining a torch directly across the stamp, helps a lot!

Mine was heavily corroded, but after an hour or so i could read it (y) You will also need the eingine number for the V5 which is on the same place.

Kristian

Yea I tried, I can make out the 000 on all of them (thats helpful). Ive tried degreaser. I got bored and had another bash with some nitromorz and the the gasket scraper.

engine number 3 looks like 18* A4.000
which looks like it could be 188, 1242 from a panda,punto 60 or a PALIO I guess its a late 60 then, and the gut lied about them being mpi.

The other one is very shallow stamped, I can make out a A ish

Thats the puppy. Theres a hole next to the filler cap over the pulley there, thought its an odd place for a knock sensor.

Definitely mpi then I'd say....never hear of an spi with cam sensor, there would be pretty much no point lol.

To clean it up i also used a dremel with a steel wire brush, and those stones, very lightly at very high speed with the stone though!

Kristian

Back