Technical Difference between 2.0 i.e. 16V Sedicivalvole & 2.0 i.e. 16V Sport?

Currently reading:
Technical Difference between 2.0 i.e. 16V Sedicivalvole & 2.0 i.e. 16V Sport?

keithwwalker

The sedicivalvole block is stamped 160A8.046
and the 16v Sport block is stamped 836A3.000

Besides the different ECU for increased torque and slightly lesser power for the 16v Sport, are these engines mechanically the same? Were the compression ratio, cams or timing different?

It seems that the Sedicivalvole was sold until 93, and then the Sport from 93-95? Can anyone confirm?

I have the 160A8.046 engine and an 836A3.000 ECU. Does anyone think that will cause problems running the ECU on an earlier engine?

Thanks
Keith Walker

i've got the mk2 engine in my mk1 and it runs fine off the mk1 ecu. the compression is different on the pistons and a couple of other things are slightly different.

If anyone is breaking a Tipo Sedicivavlole and wants to sell the ECU, here are the ECU parts numbers that would work:
7747420 preferably, or

Keith Walker

Last edited:
Early cars had higher lift cams, different compression, EGR, different fuel rail and throttle body. But the heads block rods crank are all the same.

Found this page on the engine spec differences:
http://www.fiattipo.eu/info_16valtvsneu.php
The 93-95 models have a torque advantage.
States that the engine compression ratio did not change, though the compression chamber and head volumes did.
The piston design changed with the later model with a larger diameter piston pin.
Main change seems to be cams:
Sedici
3°/51°/47°/7°
Sport
1°/45°/42°/4°
Total cam lift not listed?

Thanks Jon and Rich!
Keith Walker

Last edited:
Do you have a Tipo in the USA?

I have never heard of a 16V Sport. Only a Sedicivalvole

All the 16V head castings are the same except for the S3 Thema. They may have used a different gasket and or pistons but the pin size is the same for all.

The sedicivalvole block is stamped 160A8.046
and the 16v Sport block is stamped 836A3.000

It seems that the Sedicivalvole was sold until 93, and then the Sport from 93-95? Can anyone confirm?

I have the 160A8.046 engine and an 836A3.000 ECU. Does anyone think that will cause problems running the ECU on an earlier engine?

Thanks
Keith Walker

160A is a "Tipo" series engine.
836A is a Fiat Coupe series engine, also used in other cars.

When Fiat released the 836A in the Fiat Coupe in late 1993 there was no point building 2 engines that were effectively the same so they would have just used the Coupe engine for the last of the Tipos.

As far as the engine tuning goes it will not matter what ECU you have. You can always have a new Eprom burnt anyway. Friends of mine have purchased performace Eproms from the UK for 836A engines.

Back