Technical Diesel Fiorino won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Diesel Fiorino won't start

Brian Fiorino

My 1998 1.7 Turbo Diesel Fiorino was parked on slight downhill after having an MOT test, the fuel was about 1/4 but orange light had flicked on a corner before parking. It was cold about 4c, I started the engine on the second go (normal for this van) and started to warm it up, I switch on the fan and turned on the lights and the engine started to die but pressing the accelerator didn't recover it and it stalled. I tried to start it but it wouldn't.

I have now filled up the tank to 1/2 full from cans and tried to start it but no sign of any ignition.

Have read it's little book, it says to open the bleed screw on the fuel filter but no fuel comes out on cranking, have closed the bleed screw and loosened an injector pipe connection and cranked away only a very small amount of fuel can out.

Have examined the fuel cut off switch its ok, I tapped it and tripped the button on the top and have reset it.

The key light comes on and goes off as normal but as I only have one blue key I had previously (2 years ago) taped the key to the sensing ring which has been remove from its housing around the key barrel and use a standard key to operate the van.

Is there a fuel pump in the tank that has stopped working? if I have drawn air into the filter and pump is there a proven way of getting it out as I have tried for two days now. How does the electric immobiliser stop the engine fuel pump, could there be a fault there?

I read a Panda diesel book that said the engine fuel pump was self priming but I don't believe that now after cranking it for hours. I have opened the filter drain knob and some diesel came out. Tomorrow I will try to gravity fill the fuel system.

Any ideas please!

check if diesel is coming out of the fuel return line from the inj.pump to the tank.
then try bleeding the high pressure fuellines coming from the injection pump at the injectors in the head.

you have an airlock.is there a button or bellow device at the fuel filter to aid getting the air out? if not,it a self bleed system.might also be a bleed screw in the pipe it self.take the fuel filter off,fill about half way with fuel.put it back on and see if car starts.:)

I charged the battery last week and have filled the fuel filter, cranked the engine with injector connections loose for ages, tighten everything up and it started. There is no priming device fitted to this system, so I will now carry a m6 fitting , tube and funnel to connect to the filter bleed hole in case it happens again. The fuel tank allows air to be drawn on downhill and corners when it is on 1/4 and below.
Thanks for the help, you have a good charge in the battery to get enough cranking time.

Back