Did you know?

Currently reading:
Did you know?

Nothing. I was Just seeing how far it would be to drive to China or something. Then i looked and saw how much further parts Russia are away and then realised that Alaska is just a stones throw from that. But they are like two different worlds. Not slight differences like the UK and France.

That there is only 55 miles between Russia and America. Also there is a Russian and American Island that are just 2.5 miles apart (y)

The Russkies sold Alaska to the USA on March 30th 1867 for $7.2 million, or about 2 cents per acre.....

Deal! :)

Good job the Yanks bought Alaska... remember how they messed their pants when Cuba had Russkie missiles on it as Cuba was so close?

If the deal hadnt been done Russia would have had missiles etc right on the border! I doubt we would have survived the missile crisis we had back then.

During the 2nd World War, the Americans and Canadians delivered thousands of trucks and hundreds of thousands of tons of supplies to the U.S.S.R. across the Bering Strait; they just drove across. I think it got a little more difficult as spring set in.

In one place in the UK you can have one foot in England and one in America.

I might be going about this too logically but;

Any US Base in the UK is technically US territory, so "RAF" Memwith Hill, and "RAF" Fylingdales, both in Yorkshire, and a couple down south.

Both USarmy listening and early defense outposts. and both have US law within the fences, so part of the US ;)

or more rationally,

The US embassy in London is a US territory

Am i right?? or am i missing something :confused:

I think you'll find that "RAF" Menwith Hill, "RAF" Fylingdales, "RAF" Burtonwood, are British territory, the clue being "RAF". Which is why they are guarded by MOD Police.

As far as I know, the only sovereign U.S. property in this country is the Embassy in London.

There are however several places in this country that share names with American places, such as Pennsylvania, perhaps that's what sludge means.

I think you'll find that "RAF" Menwith Hill, "RAF" Fylingdales, "RAF" Burtonwood, are British territory, the clue being "RAF". Which is why they are guarded by MOD Police.
There are however several places in this country that share names with American places, such as Pennsylvania, perhaps that's what sludge means.

As far as im aware, they are USAF Bases (or were :D), i know Memwith Hill was actually signed as USAF Memwith Hill, but was changed because of the protesters.

Memwith is actually still operated operated by the USAF Air Intelligence, but have been told its now fully owned by the RAF. so i guess not US territory anymore, but im sure it used to be.

but like i said, was thinking to rationally for 1am :(

Last edited:
I watch too much QI. Everyone was saying about the US embassy etc but seemingly this is not strictly true. The only official american soil is the John F Kennedy memorial at runnymead.

"It is a myth that an embassy is based on the soil of that country, so the American Embassy in Grosvenor Square (at the time of recording it was being moved) is on British soil, not American. The Americans wanted to buy the lease from the owner of Grosvenor Square, the Duke of Westminster, and he said he would if the Americans would give back to his family the state of Virginia which they confiscated from them during the War of Independence. The deal did not go ahead" (from the programme)

maybe it's some sort of deal set up between countries, we let you have an embassy here if we can have one in your country? As for their air bases, either they are renting them OR it is part of a deal by way of paying the americans back (I read somewhere that we owe them a fortune after they saved our sorry asses in WWII)

Last edited:
Back