General Detailing day today

Currently reading:
General Detailing day today

I have had the car for nearly 6 months now and despite all my time spent working on it, I have not actaly taken a sponge to it!
Its all been spanners and axial stands of late. Today I made some time to brake out the detailing kit and sort the mess that was my car out.

I washed it using two buckets method
Car was then shammyed off
I then spent 3 hours claying the paintwork, note to self do NOT let it get in to this state again
Car was then mopped using a DA orbital and a selection of pads.
I then finished by using some doh doh wax I was given, putting that stuff on by hand is interesting and a tad messy.

I then spent a hour cleaning the door shuts and getting polish of the black rubber bits.

photos:

_DSC1951.jpg

_DSC1947.jpg

_DSC1948.jpg

_DSC1949.jpg

_DSC1935.jpg

_DSC1943.jpg

Tomorrow I need to finish of the inside :(

Hi Lee, Thanks.

The lump I used today was from halfords. I suspect there may be better bars but for this job is was fine.
When claying keep the surface well lubricated, I did a lot of reading over on detailing world before I started. Dealing is something Im interested in but still have a long way to go knolage wise.

whoa! shes lush!

dont really know about all this clay thing but if it makes flo look half as good them im all over it!

Si

Claying removes all the crud that builds up on the paintwork.
If you run your fingers over the paintwork it will likely feel coarse, claying will remove the containments and this makes it feel glass smooth again.
When light hits the paint it reflects cleanly now aposed to being slightly refracted, add in a few coats of polish and a good wax and you end up with a very deep shine.

Well mate, I was so pround I gave mine a nice overall cleaning today, until I saw your pics, damn you ;)

Cheers buddy I've been scouring the DW forum for a while too, I hear good things about the bilt hamber clays, also another product I'd really recommend is the ironX, its extremely expensive @ £15 for 500ml but its a really good product for the wheels and general cruddy bodywork and is soo easy to use, I think I'm gonna have to look onto claying some more and maybe have a go

Love the results buddy will you be at stanford??

Lee

Just taken a look at the event, east Midlands means its one of the closer one's this year.
So all things being equal ill be there this year.
Is there any discount on the tickets at all for FF members?

Lol my namebadge was on the dash in my car for most of the show lol, I was the tall one at brooklands :D hoveling around all the cinqs, what did you use as a lube for the claying?? I've heard megs quick detailer can be used as a lube but not 100% sure as I said I'm kinda worried about destroying the paintwork, also do you have to machine polish after claying ??
Cheers

Lee

I think I recall saying hello lol.
I used a detailing spray as it helpt with the tiny tar spots I had, water would be fine the aim is to keep the clay moving smoothly and keep folding it in on it's self. Make sure the car is properly clean before claying as anything it picks up grit wise is bad!

You do not have to mop after, I did it because you want the paint as clean as possible before mopping and this is the best way to do it.

Yea I think we met briefly lol, what pads and compounds did you use?? I've heard good things about the farecla compounds but have no experience of the stuff, and absolutly no clue about any good pads

Sorry about all the questions I currently use ag super resin polish and the dodo blue velvet

Lee

Back