General Dell'Orto replacement carb?

Currently reading:
General Dell'Orto replacement carb?

Jaff_Fox

New member
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
479
Location
Stockport
I've had what is seemingly a very generous offer on a new carb for my 4x4. But the company is offering me a Dell'Orto replacement carb. I thought pandas used weber carbs? Namely weber 32 TLF 6/250/1
Any fire carb experts can clear this up for me?
Thanks
 

Tony M

eh?
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
3,093
I have a bit of knowledge on this subject... surprisingly...

The panda comes with a weber as standard much the same as my ducati project bike motorbike. it's unusual as it's a car carb... and these you don't find on bikes... the Weber in question was a Weber 44dcnf... the panda it seems comes with a 32

the Weber on the ducati is famous for being hard to tune and keep in tune... and many popular conversions have been done... namely Dell'ortos, Solex and the ever popular Mikuni's... what i am trying to say is that the carb you are being offered is probably up to the job but the jetting will need to be looked at... and also keep an eye open to it being two pairs... as they are really hard to synchronise properly. One of the reasons Ducati tried the single dual chambered carb in the first place...

I'll get my anorak...
 
OP
OP
Jaff_Fox

Jaff_Fox

New member
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
479
Location
Stockport
I'm far from a pro on carbs.. All i'm capable of is fitting the carb (par maybe adjusting the mixture). Are you saying there might be a lot of work needs to be done to get the delorto working?

I've been sent two second hand webers now that have had different problems with both of them so figured I'd try and get something new as it would need no messing about..
Thanks anyhow :)
 

Alan.D

Ban the Mongol rally
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
13,622
Location
West Cumbria
I was going to ask what happened to the new carb with the engine but the [email protected][email protected] sold it seperately (n) :mad:

Jaff I had 4 carbs & all the mixture screws were knackered so is a common problem. I finally bought a new one off e-bay for £27 still boxed so just wait more will certainly come up..don't forget a lot of Y10 parts are the same.
 
Last edited:

panda-sport

Essex Panda's R Us
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
1,124
Location
Basildon, Essex
It should be fine. Dell'Orto do lots of replacement carbs for weber and visa vera. Make sure it has the right jets fitted for your engine as it can be a pain hunting down correct sized replacements ( as well as the extra cost).

I believe they are both part of the same compay now!

I have used down and side draft dells in the past with no problems.

cheers Damon
 
OP
OP
Jaff_Fox

Jaff_Fox

New member
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
479
Location
Stockport
Yes I'm still a bit pi$$d he sold the carb as the engines fantastic (or maybe thats cos you fitted it).

What happened to the mixture screws on yours mate, they don't seem all that delecate.. I even removed mine once.. I now have two useless carbs but the mixture screws are fine so could use the screws?
 
OP
OP
Jaff_Fox

Jaff_Fox

New member
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
479
Location
Stockport
panda-sport said:
It should be fine. Dell'Orto do lots of replacement carbs for weber and visa vera. Make sure it has the right jets fitted for your engine as it can be a pain hunting down correct sized replacements ( as well as the extra cost).

I believe they are both part of the same compay now!

I have used down and side draft dells in the past with no problems.

cheers Damon


Thanks mate.. although even changine jets it a no go for me i think.. I've mailed the company again so I'll see waht they say tomoz
 

Tony M

eh?
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
3,093
panda-sport said:
I believe they are both part of the same compay now!
Weber stopped manufacturing about 8 years ago didn't they?... I knwo that no-one sells new stuff for them... you only get New Old Stock if you're lucky.

Dell'ortos on the other hand seem to be easier to track down...

The jets for the webers are designed to be screwed into place and regulate the carb by the size of the jet rather than using a needle through a hole which moves with the throttle... So even an amateur can swap the jets Jaff without too much stress... just screw them in until they are firmly in place... the only thing that adjusts on the webers seems to be the idle adjusters.

you might not want to take my word for it though as mine is just a theorectical opinion.
 
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
13,105
Location
Watford
Alan.D said:
I was going to ask what happened to the new carb with the engine but the [email protected][email protected] sold it seperately (n) :mad:

Jaff I had 4 carbs & all the mixture screws were knackered so is a common problem. I finally bought a new one off e-bay for £27 still boxed so just wait more will certainly come up..don't forget a lot of Y10 parts are the same.

Was that the new carb advertised for a Y10 on Ebay about a year ago?
 
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
13,105
Location
Watford
Alan.D said:
It was :D brand new still in the box. Did I out bid you :p

Yes! :mad: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:p

I was over in the USA at the time and got up at the crack of dawn to bid on it, but was pipped to the post at the last second!

Ah well, at least it went to a member on here and to a good home (y)
 

Alan.D

Ban the Mongol rally
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
13,622
Location
West Cumbria
If it makes you feel any better I was willing to go to £150 for it (fiat had just doubled the price of their old style carbs), but just to make things worse it's spot on car runs like a dream :p :D
 
OP
OP
Jaff_Fox

Jaff_Fox

New member
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
479
Location
Stockport
So about those screws alan...? ;p hehee

The company with the 'new carb' got back to me today.. quote "This is a replacement kit for the Weber - it has all the parts to convert it. If it is wrong (I'm pretty sure it's the right kit) you can return it unused for a full refund"

It seems the 'Dell'Orto replacement carb' has now changed to a 'kit'.. again I reiterate to say I know nothing about carbs but sounds like what they have to offer ne is a big ball ache?

Can't be doing with running my car on this knackered carb for much longer.. i'm sure it isn't doing the engine a whole lot of good either :(



Jaff_Fox said:
Yes I'm still a bit pi$$d he sold the carb as the engines fantastic (or maybe thats cos you fitted it).

What happened to the mixture screws on yours mate, they don't seem all that delecate.. I even removed mine once.. I now have two useless carbs but the mixture screws are fine so could use the screws?
 
Top