Technical Dead spot on accelerator pedal

Currently reading:
Technical Dead spot on accelerator pedal

Hi everyone, I seem to have a dead spot on accelerator when changing gears especially 1st to 2nd, the car pulls back and then jumps forward and very difficult to hold at low revs, sometimes happens when holding at constant speed. Any ideas on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Tipo 1.3 diesel lounge 2017

My other Fiat does the exact same thing and it's not a fault. You were not supposed to press the accelerator when changing the gears because it is totally unnecassary. Idle speed is controlled by the computer. It will not stall, don't worry.

Also when you want the car to go very slowly, just release the clutch and don't press the accelerator. Very useful for parking the car. However, I believe that the car learns to compensate the pedal movement and sometimes it can be quite unexpected. So a little touch on the pedal in 1st gear can make the car accelerate. All this behaviour changes when the car reaches operating temperature, then it gives full control of the throttle. I thought that it must be a fault, but no, it really is how these electric throttles work and it just takes a little time to get used to it.

My other Fiat does the exact same thing and it's not a fault. You were not supposed to press the accelerator when changing the gears because it is totally unnecassary. Idle speed is controlled by the computer. It will not stall, don't worry.

Also when you want the car to go very slowly, just release the clutch and don't press the accelerator. Very useful for parking the car. However, I believe that the car learns to compensate the pedal movement and sometimes it can be quite unexpected. So a little touch on the pedal in 1st gear can make the car accelerate. All this behaviour changes when the car reaches operating temperature, then it gives full control of the throttle. I thought that it must be a fault, but no, it really is how these electric throttles work and it just takes a little time to get used to it.
Thank you very much for your explanation, I've only had the car since October 22 and my previous car had cable for accelerator. So really thought that
this was a fault, I will try your suggestion.

Thanks for information, I've had vehicle checked by the dealer that I bought it second hand from and they say nothing showing up as faulty but I'm still not sure that it should be so erratic at low revs and especially when changing from 1st to 2nd.

Is this your first diesel? It does require a quite different approach to driving after petrol.
The 1.3 in a 500L is the only one I have tried of this engine, its a small ish engine in a largish car tool which make things different too. A small diesel in a largeish car means you may need to balance engine speed and gears more carefully. If this is the case experiment with changing at different speeds into the next gear up. Gpas in the power bad cna be accentuated by the size and power balance. There is enough power in this engine to get smooth and decent progress but there are limitations, and matching / changing gear change speeds may be your key to this issue. These things all take a while to get to grips with. Dont try and hang onto first gear too long change up as early as you find it has enough power to use second and then let the engine do the work for you. Also make sure the clutch is biting smoothly as this can influence smooth porgress and make it hard work if there is any shortcoming or adjustment needed.

Is this your first diesel? It does require a quite different approach to driving after petrol.
The 1.3 in a 500L is the only one I have tried of this engine, its a small ish engine in a largish car tool which make things different too. A small diesel in a largeish car means you may need to balance engine speed and gears more carefully. If this is the case experiment with changing at different speeds into the next gear up. Gpas in the power bad cna be accentuated by the size and power balance. There is enough power in this engine to get smooth and decent progress but there are limitations, and matching / changing gear change speeds may be your key to this issue. These things all take a while to get to grips with. Dont try and hang onto first gear too long change up as early as you find it has enough power to use second and then let the engine do the work for you. Also make sure the clutch is biting smoothly as this can influence smooth porgress and make it hard work if there is any shortcoming or adjustment needed.
Thank you for your response, not my first diesel had vw1.9 tdi for 18 years , I do believe that I've just got to get to grips with the smaller engine and the electronic accelerator.

Old habits die hard. It may be the driving habits. Petrol engines and diesels have become more alike these days. I have a petrol Fiat and it behaves very much like a diesel as it has power at low revs. Also it was very new to me that once the car barely even moves, I need to shift to the 2nd gear immediately. If the car moves, then shirt to 2nd even at low revs. It will also save quite a lot of fuel, see the "IC" (it may be named differently) screen for "immediate consumption) in the car computer.

I used to get my Fiat to bounce too and I thought it was a fault. I also have a pretty quick left foot which is partly to blame. Also 1st gear is very jumpy, if you release the accelerator it will also make the car to do powerful engine braking and that'll make the car jump a little too.

If you can't get the car to behave itself, there may be a vacuum leak. Although I think it should give a fault code on this later model.

We have a pair of 1.2 Pandas and one in particular has been a real pain driving slowly lurching off at the slightest provocation. This in the end resolved when all the clutch linkages were cleaned and oiled. MY experience of your engine was in a hired 500L and only for 1000 miles or so, and I did not notice any issues as you describe. It did need a bootful of gas to get moving especially up hill so would atle a bit of learing. Hopefully you will click with the car soon and the issue will disappear. Ive had loads of different diesels over the years and its amazing how different they have been. I had a 1.6 Bravo which I really liked and respected but it was so easy to stall it. I have had similar experiences to yours with PSA diesels but they were cable operated accelerators and adjustment of the cable made a huge difference. Your next step must be to go try another identical vehicle so you can compare. Its quite possible that there is a problem with the fly by wire 'throttle' and that it doesnt yet show on a diagnostic. I hope you manage to get past the issues as you have a really good car there and should get the best economy / speed balance out there i my opinion. Good luck. Do let us know how you get on.

We have a pair of 1.2 Pandas and one in particular has been a real pain driving slowly lurching off at the slightest provocation. This in the end resolved when all the clutch linkages were cleaned and oiled. MY experience of your engine was in a hired 500L and only for 1000 miles or so, and I did not notice any issues as you describe. It did need a bootful of gas to get moving especially up hill so would atle a bit of learing. Hopefully you will click with the car soon and the issue will disappear. Ive had loads of different diesels over the years and its amazing how different they have been. I had a 1.6 Bravo which I really liked and respected but it was so easy to stall it. I have had similar experiences to yours with PSA diesels but they were cable operated accelerators and adjustment of the cable made a huge difference. Your next step must be to go try another identical vehicle so you can compare. Its quite possible that there is a problem with the fly by wire 'throttle' and that it doesnt yet show on a diagnostic. I hope you manage to get past the issues as you have a really good car there and should get the best economy / speed balance out there i my opinion. Good luck. Do let us know how you get on.
A reasonable diagnostic tool will show throttle position compared with actual position which may help to eliminate a suspect throttle pedal or TPS.
One of my daughters had a Golf TDI 130 and the other a Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet, no comparison !!!;)

Old habits die hard. It may be the driving habits. Petrol engines and diesels have become more alike these days. I have a petrol Fiat and it behaves very much like a diesel as it has power at low revs. Also it was very new to me that once the car barely even moves, I need to shift to the 2nd gear immediately. If the car moves, then shirt to 2nd even at low revs. It will also save quite a lot of fuel, see the "IC" (it may be named differently) screen for "immediate consumption) in the car computer.

I used to get my Fiat to bounce too and I thought it was a fault. I also have a pretty quick left foot which is partly to blame. Also 1st gear is very jumpy, if you release the accelerator it will also make the car to do powerful engine braking and that'll make the car jump a little too.

If you can't get the car to behave itself, there may be a vacuum leak. Although I think it should give a fault code on this later model.
Very useful information thank you for your reply, will persevere, really like my new car, well new to me as 2017 model.

We have a pair of 1.2 Pandas and one in particular has been a real pain driving slowly lurching off at the slightest provocation. This in the end resolved when all the clutch linkages were cleaned and oiled. MY experience of your engine was in a hired 500L and only for 1000 miles or so, and I did not notice any issues as you describe. It did need a bootful of gas to get moving especially up hill so would atle a bit of learing. Hopefully you will click with the car soon and the issue will disappear. Ive had loads of different diesels over the years and its amazing how different they have been. I had a 1.6 Bravo which I really liked and respected but it was so easy to stall it. I have had similar experiences to yours with PSA diesels but they were cable operated accelerators and adjustment of the cable made a huge difference. Your next step must be to go try another identical vehicle so you can compare. Its quite possible that there is a problem with the fly by wire 'throttle' and that it doesnt yet show on a diagnostic. I hope you manage to get past the issues as you have a really good car there and should get the best economy / speed balance out there i my opinion. Good luck. Do let us know how you get on

Thanks for your input, I really hope that I've only got to get to grips with driving a new car after so many years of driving my old car. May have to look around to see if another one is for sale so I can take it test drive and compare.

If you let the revs drop to much or change up to soon the anti stall will
kick in and the car will lurch forward, these things like more revs than some
other diesels but will run smoothly down to low revs this can catch you out
then the car lurches,
Thank you, will have to preserve and try different driving styles

Thank you all for the advice, I have changed the way I drive the car as suggested and so much better driving experience 😊😊

Back