De-cat Good or bad?

Currently reading:
De-cat Good or bad?

S

stevie

Anyone de-catted their bravo? I have a 1.6 16v, Just wondering if anyone gained any ponies by doing this?

I've got a full system on it at the moment (superspring 4-2-1 manifold and powerflow mid and back box)

u will gain... u can smell it and u can hear it...it sound crap lol

a mate of mine has it like u...stainless steel allt he way trough and it sound absalutly horrific!!

Boonewsig.jpg

Its a 1.4 Chassis, 1.6 Engine and 2.0ltr Brakes and half a Marea :)

Follow My Project
Updated: 06/07/2008

My red 1.8HLX was de-cat'd and it was soooo loud it was unreal thankfully, the sound system was even louder so it wasnt that bad for me inside the car:)
But outside, in the dead of night i was setting off car alarms etc it was fun lol but not very nice when the neighbours are complaining to everyone about you, Not only that my 1.8 used to drink the petrol like nothing you'd ever seen, Plus you have to get it refitted come M.O.T time and the de-cat'd again afterwards, I Wouldnt bother to be honest

back pressure

Its give and take. Noise difference was nominal on mine. Most significantly you will gain top end and loose mid range torque, so if acceleration is more important than top speed - save yourself the hassle of swopping it every time you need an MOT ;)

decat

Well, i went ahead and made my own decat pipe. It needs a little more welding as i've found it is clowing alot.

It hasn't made any difference what so ever to how loud it is. Inface it sounds more crisp and sporty with out sounding like a chav pipe.

It does pull better in the top of the rev range however i think you was right in saying i may lose some torque. I think this also might have something to do with the fact it is blowing like crazy and i have an exhaust sensor missing and a broken knock sensor :S

In all, not a bad effort and i recon it'll be a good thing when its all totally finished.