Technical Dashboard indicator lights

Currently reading:
Technical Dashboard indicator lights

I'm wrestling with the dash indicator / telltale lights. At the moment when the side / dip / full beam lights are off the indicator tell tale with the double ended arrow works as it should. As soon as you turn the lights on then turn on the indicators (either side) it stops working but the green (side lights on?) and the blue (high beam?) flash alternately.
Is this what they're supposed to do, am I looking at for a non existant fault?
The blue light doesn't come on when the high beams are on either......
For something with only a little more wiring than a ride on mower its providing me with hours of entertainment!

It's almost assuredly a ground/earth problem. I would go through the lights, clean up the grounds, then do the same for the indicator.

You're right though - for how simple this is, the wiring can be a bit maddening. The schematic is ridiculously overly complicated with redundant power and ground sources everywhere, making chasing faults quite annoying. It's one of the main reasons I'm going to swap in a modern harness when I do the restoration on mine.

It's actually got a new harness, and I put extra earths in after coming to the conclusion that the originals were almost completely useless.
Thinking about it I suspect I've somehow got the earth wire connected to the live terminal on one of each of the front pairs of indicators - the round sidelights on the front acting as both indicators and parking lights using the same bulb might be what's causing the confusion.

Finally managed to resolve the problem, got another mate round to help me wrestle with a couple of electrical problems - Visa Decouvrable (or convertible) not starting and the 500. After a bit of peering at the manual he decided to rip all the wiring out of the 2 blocks on the back of the dash, replace all the spade connectors with ones with 'hooks' on and insulators, and go back to the beginning. He came to the conclusion that there was a bit of what he called the 'ring main' fusebox / switches / wiper motor etc missing, made up a new bit, replaced all the wires in the correct place in the 2 blocks on the back of the dash and voila (as they say somewhere) it all does what it should do.
He then donated a couple of rolls of cloth loom binding tape and left me to spend several happy hours sorting out the copper spaghetti under the bonnet. I've finally re routed it all, bound it up, replaced the dashboard (we couldn't be bothered to sort out the always on light in the mirror - the live for that has been earmarked for the electric washers) - and its all still working. At last I can put the bootlid back on and see if I can get a tune out of it!

Back