General Damn Windscreen!!

Currently reading:
General Damn Windscreen!!

LoBsTeR

Brain freeze
Picked up a stone chip the other day. Heard the 'click' as the stone chip hit the windscreen (oncoming rubble lorry at 60mph). Inspected the screen when I got home for damage..nothing found. Massive crack appeared 4 days later. Stone has hit just under the wiper blade (2mm). Phoned Tesco insurance. Autoglass turn up today and fit a new screen. Installer cracked the new screen when fitting. Turns out that the windscreen scuttle had warped in the sun and he had used too much pressure trying to fit it back in. I must admit, on the old screen it was slightly buckled.

They are coming back to fit another screen next week and all will be fine. I have ordered a new scuttle and fittings from FIAT at a modest price of £42 incl.

Is this a normal thing? Do these scuttles warp in the heat/sun?

Apparently from your experience, but it seems like an isolated event. :)

Is the scuttle made of the same plastic as the GP Screen hot air vents by any chance I wonder? :eek:

Turns out that the windscreen scuttle had warped in the sun and he had used too much pressure trying to fit it back in. I must admit, on the old screen it was slightly buckled.
I find that very difficult to believe.

I've had my scuttle off several times and can't believe it has the strength to crack a windscreen (on its own). It's quite tricky to fit though so perhaps someone lost their temper :(

The screen had been replaced before I got the car. Whoever had replaced the screen thr first time round had not fitted the scuttle properly. I rekon after a while, this had caused it to warp.

Back