Technical CV Joint

Currently reading:
Technical CV Joint

cryptixabarth

Ive got an Abarth 2004 reg and the CV jont has gone apparently, how can the cv joint just go and on a 2004 model, any sugestions as im not very mechanically minded and dont ave a clue. Cheers

well, all it is a rubber boot covering a metal hingey thing (cant think of the technical term :p). All it takes is a split in the boot and some grit can get in and ruin the metal hingey bit

Jabbing the accelerator can cause premature wear on a CV joint along with dumping the clutch. Progressive pedal pressure can prolong the life of CV joints.

I don't know if you have owner the car from new but if you haven't then it is a possible scenario that at some time the rubber boot was split and Water and dirt contaminated the cv joint ..this should have been cleaned out if I am correct and re greased before a new boot fitted ..if this wasn't done then the dirt will cause premature failure ..

Ive got an Abarth 2004 reg and the CV joint has gone apparently, how can the cv joint just go and on a 2004 model, any sugestions as im not very mechanically minded and dont ave a clue. Cheers

Do you know if it is the outer or inner cv joint ? and is it the nearside (LH) or offside (RH) ? how many miles have you covered ?

Only reason i ask is because you can try to get a goodwill claim from FIAT as i had a similar experience a few months ago.

The car was preregistered but with a Fiat Dealership to make up the numbers so I owned from new as such, Hard cornering yes im guilty off well was until this happend its done about 29,000 its the outer cv joint RH side (Driver side) its covered under warrenty well thats what i told fiat to do and they are doing it. but just wanted to know a bit more as im a novice with mechanical things but want to get into it a bit more, cheers 4 the replys

I don't know if you have owner the car from new but if you haven't then it is a possible scenario that at some time the rubber boot was split and Water and dirt contaminated the cv joint ..this should have been cleaned out if I am correct and re greased before a new boot fitted ..if this wasn't done then the dirt will cause premature failure ..

People just a quick one. I have a stilo abarth which an inner cv boot on the passenger side has been damaged. i am having real big trouble picking up the correct part as fiat themselves have the incorrect part number.

Fiat are requesting pictures from the delaership for it to be corrected as have now sent the wrong part to my delaership for my vehicle twice?

Should i be given a courtesy? and is anyone else aare of this problem? it has now been 6 days without me having access to a vehicle!!!

Please advise

(n)

Attachments

• ds.JPG
    ds.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 206
I read on another thread another member was having problems with a clunky/groan sort of noise which may have been tracked down to the CV joint. I sometimes get this noise going over small bumps or turning the steering wheel from left lock to right lock, could that be a faulty CV joint or something else?

Faulty CV joints will always give the tell tale click click click click on lock coyotes (y)

Ta very much, ill ask the garage to check that after my MOT in feb!

If they run the car and find the joint is gone its an MOT failure.. the place I used always ran the cars around the block to warm up the engines and to see how they run :eek:

Hmmm that presents a dilemma, do I take her in now or wait till feb? :confused:

That depend if your place run the cars like mine does ..but running the car on a worn joint is asking for trouble cos if it seizes up your well and truely in the doo :eek:

Back