Technical cv boot

Currently reading:
Technical cv boot

AngusGrant

Hi
Posted this in "Guides" section but not sure if it appears here as well!
so just in case......

Hi
I have to replace an outer CV boot on a 1997 Sporting. Removing the hub nut sounds a nightmare! Can you remove a nut set at 240nm without help!

Are there any tricks/tips to doing so?

Thank you

Can you remove a nut set at 240nm without help!

Are there any tricks/tips to doing so?

Thank you

System that has never let me down yet....
Drive the car up against a high-ish kerb to stop the vehicle from moving, (i also engage gear + apply handbrake).
3/4inch drive socket set, use the breaker bar NOT the torque wrench.
Slip a length of scaffold tube over this.
HEAVE! :)

Thanks for advice
"Book" says always replace with a new nut? Is that overkill?

No its not overkill but you can get away with using the old nut if its in good condition and they usually arent :cry: so be on the safe side and get a new one (y)

Thanks for advice
"Book" says always replace with a new nut? Is that overkill?
Think about the physical stress involved when the nut was put on, then driving for??? miles, then undoing it -& you want to re-use it :eek:
Yes, you could re-use it, but only if you value your life to be worth less than the cost of a new nut!

fair point!
can only find the nut on ebay?
should they be easy to locate from a local factor, nothing on their websites?

Cheers

I had problems finding them thru my local suppliers in the end i got ripped off at fiat main dealer £8 each :eek::eek: but im sure big mick at euro will be able to help you out (y)(y)

thanks for all comments, most helpful.

and when replacing do you/can you tighten all the way with torque wrench? Or do you go as far as you can with breaker bar and pole and just finish off with wrench?

Sorry to be dimm, im sure it will all come together when i get on and do it!

Cheers

Back