Technical custom door pods

Currently reading:
Technical custom door pods

right, gonna do myself a nice cheap mod this weekend i think. took the back door pods off the sei this evening to see how easy they'd come off, looks like its just plugged in with plastic clips. gonna jigsaw out an mdf panel at work, cut a 6x9 hole and carpet it, but would i need a port hole or should i just keep it as it is?

(ps i know there's an ice forum... but people here would know a hell of a lot more about the shape and acoustics of the seis bodywork).

pps, on taking my door panel off i found that fiat sound deadening is no less than plastic bags full of scrap foam bits. pretty sure this aint normal, expecting to find a bag full of fruit in the back when i take my seats out

i got the same scrap bits of foam too, but i replaced with cheap sound deadening (roofers felt :eek:)

i wouldnt really bother with a port hole, no real need for 6x9's

it be a tight squeeze with 6x9's, make sure you do the drivers side one first as petrol filler is in the way

been there done that sounds good.. ive wired it through the back and branched it with my parcel shelf 6x9 wires.. seems ok.. i replaced mine with proper sound deadening aswell!

jigsawed out the mdf yesterday and replaced the clips and the foam around the side of the wood... just gotta wait for some carpet now.

it sounds pretty crap base wise at the moment... ive taken the carrier bags full of foam out and that was based on the pods being wedged into the space with the back seat in the way.

Alroy said:
jigsawed out the mdf yesterday and replaced the clips and the foam around the side of the wood... just gotta wait for some carpet now.

it sounds pretty crap base wise at the moment... ive taken the carrier bags full of foam out and that was based on the pods being wedged into the space with the back seat in the way.

are u doin them for a sei?

lemme give u a little warning... i did some for my cinq, and when they were trimmed i found the only way to secure them to the body work was to screw them in with self tappers as the clips wouldnt hold!

and personally i think mine sound awesome, a lot better than when the 6x9's were in the parcel shelf, but mine are crackling like a bugger so i need some new ones! (n)

paulbfd said:
Probably sounds crap because the panel isn't fixed in properly yet. Make sure when you fit that it's solid (Mases way of screwing it in would probably be best) and sealed all the way round.

mmmm didnt think about it bein a better seal to be honest... does make sence thinkin about it now tho! (y)

ill post a pic this afternoon as i been promising lambert a pic for weeks! :cool:

you will have to screw them in, unless you find a way of fixing the original red clips to the mdf

if you using screws, cover them up with screw caps, mine where yellow cause it went with my colour scheme :eek:

if you want bass, have a sub!!

when i fitted 6x9's in my uno rear quarts they sounded good

When I was building my pods in my head, I thought I could countersink a hole where the clips go and super glue/bond them in place.

Think it would work?

Liam

bought some super strength ultimate sticky super glue stuff last night and sat up till gone 2am mapping out where to stick the plastic fixers. stuck em all on, got up this morning to fix em on and 2 of them held. :(

was thinking about just sticking the pod to the bodywork, wanted to try and not use screws if possible. plus ive gotta carpet the pods first.

will have an experiment when my car comes back from the workshop... its getting a whole facelift (y) (y) (y)

oh on a sidenote... bass is fine now ive taken out the bin liners full of foam that fiat call sound insulation. will sound even better when theyre properly fixed

(pps, i sold my sub not too long ago, im not looking at getting huge bass from these. wanted them to look a bit neater than just sitting on the parcel shelf like any other car)

TBH, I think you're better off screwing them to the panel, that way they will be really solid. I can't emphasise (sp?) enough the importance of a solid mounting, those speakers will shift a reasonable amount of air, which could move the panel on clips. With a 6 x 9 hole, you should be able to get your hand in to hold a spring washer thing in whilst tightening it up.

i'll probably carpet the pod, then drill some holes and screw the wood to the bodywork as suggested. already have some foam on the back of the wood to stop rattling but might stick a little bit more on and maybe carpet over the foam to get a good solid base.

also need some screw covers, anyone know if these are readily available from DIY shops?

only thing that's worrying me at the moment is lining the holes up with the MDF, but that shouldnt be an issue

cheers lads

Alroy said:
only thing that's worrying me at the moment is lining the holes up with the MDF, but that shouldnt be an issue

cheers lads

take the plastic clips out of the plastic door card, secure to the MDF copy, drill through the center of where the clips were into the MDF copy... bang holes in the MDF card virtually in the center of where the clip was! then get some pretty long self tappers and screw through the holders on the body work! (y)

Back