Technical Cuope Handbrake Adjustment

Currently reading:
Technical Cuope Handbrake Adjustment

Kevin Hammond

Can anyone help. We have an MOT failure on my sons Coupe for the handbrake on one side (offside). The cable nipple joins to a lever adjacent to the brake caliper body. This lever appears to be in a more clockwise position (when looking frmo underneath the car (ie more forward) that the one on the other side. The lever is held by a 13mm nut which we have remove, but alas cannot seem to remove anything further. I think the lever need to be set further towards the rear of the car to give the cable more space to work - but I'm not suer. Any ideas pleeaassee?

The 13mm nut is what the metal lever pivots on.
the levers travel is determined by the handbrake cable as with the cable loosened/ fully released the spring should pull it to its fully released position

So 1st you should probably losen off the cables. This is done by (in the car) pulling off the handbrake leather cover attached to the bottom of the handbrake handle itself, is fastened with velcro. below it is a 13mm nut which when wound out losens the cables.

If the lever in the picture has still not returned fully then the metel lever could be partially seized and will need free-ing off.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 24
Many thanks for the advice. The problem is not with the in-car adjuster but at the rear wheel cylinder. One thing we did find is the return spring (shown in your photo) is missing - this may mean that the cable pulls more to the other side of the car? I'll get a new spring if poss. Although I have a suspicion that the mechanism inside the caliper is worn (because it travels further forward before it applies the brake , than the other side of the car - if that makes sense). Do you know if this is servicable?

Back