Technical Crunchy second gear

Currently reading:
Technical Crunchy second gear

My cinq seems to be crunching into 2nd, but only when i accel hard.
Even if i hammer the clutch through the floor it seems to crunch in.
I've recently tightened up a bolt which seemed to make it stop, but its doing it again> I'm not liking it!
Syncro going?? it shouldn't be coz the box was replaced with a reconditioned unit this time last year;)

Any ideas??

7.jpg

Originally posted by cinquechicken
ive always had trouble getting mine in second, always bit stifer (ahem) but doesnt bother too much! bit embarassing when it crunches :I

i think this is a general problem with cinq's cause mine does it as well, i have tried tightenin the clutch cable up, helps a bit, but cant really change into second unless speed is below 20mph an when it has done a long trip will crunch when down shiftin! maybe a 6-speed gearbox will fix it haha

mase_banner_one.jpg

Check/change the 'box oil, synthetic is best such as Castrol Driveline / Syntrax.

Older gearboxes will start to crunch when changing down, more often than not when going into 2nd. You could always double declutch on a downchange - lift the clutch in neutral and rev the engine a little past where the revs should be for 2nd at that mph, then press the clutch again and select 2nd. This has to be done fairly quickly but becomes second nature with practice, I usually do it when the car's still cold.

Pete.

Links: 1242cc cinq, turbo cinq, Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group, Clubcento

I am glad you described double declutching, I am sure some of the whippersnappers on here wouldn't know it if it jumped out their kebab at them!!!!;)

Cheers

D

Grumpy old git going fast downhill rather than downhill fast!!

I do double declutch:D The problem only occurs on the up shift 1st to 2nd, and also it only happens at 46-5000 rpm or above.

Even if i'm like "vrrrrrrrrooooooooom" up to near redline.....gap..... press clutch and change. Like that slowly it still does it> I think the gearbox oil needs changing but is it likely to still do it after??

At the moment i can't acclerate fast away from lights (on private roads of course :I) without sounding like a pratt who can't change gear.

7.jpg

There's a drain plug on the bottom of the 'box and a filler plug on the front for 1108's, empty the oil out then refill from the front - you may need to move the charcoal can out of the way - until oil just starts to drip out of the filler hole.

About 1.5 litres, not 2.6 as stated in the manual.

Pete.

Links: 1242cc cinq, turbo cinq, Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group, Clubcento

Back