Punto (Mk1) crash repair project Punto MK1

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk1) crash repair project Punto MK1

puntos have a small sticker either on the boot or under the bonnet.. um never mind, a local fiat dealer will trace it up for you, they did it for me mines 192 aka swift red, lol, looks more pink too me, that punto looks proper ace though :D.

brilliant! Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get everything back on tomorrow, weather permitting and then start crawling around it to see what it might fail the MOT on, then hopefully book it in for the VIC.

Ha Ha! Just finished! I've never worked in such bad sleet! Rain! Wind!
IMG_1904.jpg

This was the impact corner. There are a few things like the indicator that are a bit of a tight fit! But everything seems to be OK! It all works as well! I got a new nearside forglamp from the scrap yard yesterday and it works!
IMG_1906.jpg

Great job and brilliant thread, really enjoyed it. Cant tell it was crashed now, from outside at least (y)

If somebody was really crawling around it looking for crash damage, I think it's just the bumper that gives it away. I'll keep looking for one locally.
IMG_1907.jpg

I've started looking around it for the MOT and the only things are, the handbrake is on about 8 clicks. Can anybody tell me how to adjust it? and the rear wiper is really lazy and slow. Is this common? Is sounds like it's creaking. Is there anything I can, oil or grease? Somebody had left the rear washer hose off the jet, so I sat there and filled the tailgate with screenwash! A bit of a vacant moment!
Thanks for all your help and anymore I might need!(y)

lift up the handbrake gaiter and there are the adjusters there, you may need to remove the surround (3x10mm bolts) to make removing easier, one seat full forward, the other full backwards.

it's just a case of pulling up 3 clicks and tightening, jack up the rear end (with chocks under front wheels), putting on stands... and make sure the wheels are not binding.

While it's up there, check for worn bushes on the rear swingarms by pushing and pulling the rear wheels (towards the middle of the car and back) The MOT tester will do this, so it's best to make sure.

Somebody had left the rear washer hose off the jet, so I sat there and filled the tailgate with screenwash! A bit of a vacant moment!
Thanks for all your help and anymore I might need!(y)

Don't worry - common thing, I did it when i got mine... lol

there are drainage holes though

Last edited:
HaHa! Just got the phonecall from the MOT station!.
Thanks for all the info you guys gave me about what are common MOT fails for punto's.
I made sure all washers, wipers, lights, tyres (needs a N/S/F), pads, discs, exhaust looked OK and it all did.
Got the back end up, yanked the back wheels about, no play in th rear arms and the wheels spun without rumbling, no leaks from the rear drums.
Adjusted the handbrake.
Adjusted the headlamps. I drove my dad's car up the drive and drew the shape of the beam on the wall, then did the same with mine and gave the lights a tweak till they were somewhere near.
The rear washer works finally but not the wiper! I know it isn't an MOT fail, but it still bugs me!
I've never really got loads of stuff from a scrappies before but it's been great like a gold mine!
When I was on my way up there the temp gauge was fine but the heater went cold on the hot setting so I hope it's just an airlock. I didn't know there was loadsa 'bleeding' points and just filled it up and assumed the air would rise! Ah well that didn't work!
Does the temp dial go right into the red before the fan comes on? Or does it come on just below it?
I am amazed how short geared it is! On the motorway, I'm sure it was doing over 3500 revs at 65/70!
Ah! The MOT! It failed on the N/S/F tyre and a numberplate light bulb (I forgot to look at them!)
Anyway when I pick it up tomorrow morning it'll be MOT'd, tracked and balanced.
I'll get the form off tomorrow for the VIC! Then TAX then she's good to go (fingers crossed!)
Thanks again for all the help.
Nathan.

Back