General Crappy electrics or what!!

Currently reading:
General Crappy electrics or what!!

euro

I love my Punto diesel but the electrics are a joke... is this a FIAT thing or just a Punto thing.

i have had to

1. Immobilise my immobiliser to allow the engine to start
2. wire out the fuel cut off solenoid and replace it with a switch so the engine stops when I remove the key!!
3. Strip down RH rear lite cluster once a week to make RH indicators work
4. Strip down LH rear lite cluster to stop brake lites flashing in sympathy with indicators 3 times now.
5. Fan stopped working, when turned on it blew fuses.. found the switch had fell to bits
6. Sometimes the drivers door won't open and i'm sure its something to do with electrics too

Apart from that.. a nice car.

Steve Anderson
Punto 1.7D

Oh dear, it sounds like water's getting in somehow, old Fords used to suffer a lot from 'sympathy blinking' with lights due to water leaks.

I've never heard of this happening on any Punto before. The electrics are by no means faultless but that's quite a lot of issues you have there. How old is it and have you had any dings?

Spirito di Punto

Apparently it's all down to bad earth's... common on my 1995 model Punto. I have had both tail units out.. cleaned up the terminals between the units and the plugs on the loom and applied vaseline.

I also removed the bulbs and cleaned off the corrosive build up on the solder connectors etc and vaselined em all and it all seems to be fine now.

I reckon the damp weather probably causes a lot of my grief with the electrics..

Steve Anderson
Punto 1.7D

my punto's horn used to go off in the middle of the night! dealer said there was nothing wrong with car when they inspected it....
central locking opened, then closed then opened etc...
stereo didn't turn off when you switched the car off......

99 Brava 100 HSX with not enough mods

Has the car ever been hit??? I remember having a very old ford orion 1.4 lx not long after passing my test(family hand down of course) and all was fine till the cops rear ended me about 6 months after getting it. After that i had several problems with rear lights(especially the need to constantly earth it)??? and also had problems with the ford built in alrm that was also linked to the boot if i remember rightly. Just a thought mate and im not a spark or a mechy but if you dont know the history it maybe worth looking into!!!

Kev

Its a Punto, what can i say??

Holy s**t a year-old thread.

Thought I couldn;t remember posting anything about Ford lights recently :p

Spirito di Punto | M-reg 55SX, black, 5dr. Clear repeaters. I'm fitting remote locking this week!!

i would quite like know how you immobilised the immobiliser too, it could be very helpful to a lot of people if you shared all euro!!!! [8D]
(if you still visit this forum that is!!)

Back