Technical Crankshaft sensor or no!?

Currently reading:
Technical Crankshaft sensor or no!?

YamYam

My y2000 JTD has been intermittently cutting out at lights but as it has been not long after setting off (i.e. not too hot), could it be something other than the crankshaft sensor?

The weird thing as well is I can normally get it started by leaving it in gear and starting it up, then retrying after the stall.

The only other thing I can tell you is that the earth strap for the starter motor went not long back but bodged it at the time (reattaching the bost end) so could that be a factor at all?

You're right there sixpotman and will get the strap sorted now there's something else gone wrong...however thinking about it again, when it went originally I remember the car running fine after a jump start so dunno if that is my current prob.

Looks like I will go for the sensor change but the fact that I can get it going again straight after a stalled start, is making me wonder if it could be sommat else.:confused: So I'm thinking of going for a diesel filter change as well.

Last edited:
Great, new symptoms this morning!

Again 10 minutes into journey, stopped for a couple of minutes idling in neutral - no problems. Then set off and not long after got a severe loss of power, oil and management light come on then cuts out as I pull over. Now the good bit....wait literally a minute then retry to start with no lights showing and no further issues to complete my journey a couple of minutes down the road!!

I've had enough go wrong with this car (e.g. recent steering change for one!) to not want to replace anything unecessarily so any further ideas - clogged oil filter, fuel/air flow, electrical??

I'm not expecting a spot on diagnosis but anyone who's had similar problems might reassure me.

With looking around the forum for my latest symptom I'm wondering if it could be a bost 'modified flow throttle control valve'.

As I can't see it on top of the air filter housing and they're not stocked on the net to see what it looks like, any pointers on how I find it?

Ta
Chris

Last edited:
Back